200 amp service relocation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky007

Hy guys. The question is my buddy wants to upgrade his. 100 amp to a 200 amp service. I have to move the meter base to the front of his house due to clearance issues. Its basiclly around the corner 3 ft away from the old meter base. Now her is what i cant find. In the liv room of his house he had a propane pot belly stove put in and theY put the exhaust flange or cap thingy on the outside. My issue is i need to run my se cable down the same wall as the exhaust And its on the corner of his house. I only have 13 inches that i can stay away from it before i hit the corner of the house. And its the only place i can put the new service. Is there a clearance code for my problem? Or would i have to put the new se conductors in conduit? If so what type would youuse? The vent is square and it vents out the top. Ilive in pa and on the 2008 nec

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Hy guys. The question is my buddy wants to upgrade his. 100 amp to a 200 amp service. I have to move the meter base to the front of his house due to clearance issues. Its basiclly around the corner 3 ft away from the old meter base. Now her is what i cant find. In the liv room of his house he had a propane pot belly stove put in and theY put the exhaust flange or cap thingy on the outside. My issue is i need to run my se cable down the same wall as the exhaust And its on the corner of his house. I only have 13 inches that i can stay away from it before i hit the corner of the house. And its the only place i can put the new service. Is there a clearance code for my problem? Or would i have to put the new se conductors in conduit? If so what type would youuse? The vent is square and it vents out the top. Ilive in pa and on the 2008 nec

There is no clearance issue as far as in the NEC rules. However, you may need to check with your AHJ to see if the SE cable is allowed to be exposed. Some areas it depends on the type of siding/structure of the house.

Strife

I agree.
However, try to explain that to any of the hundreds of inspectors in South Florida.
One day, when I have time and money I'll do a service with the SE exposed just to see the look on the inspector face.

I'm still amazed that people think exposed SE cable is hazardous. :roll:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Why even use SE cable if it can't be exposed?

That was my point, for him to check with his inspector to see if it's allowed to be run exposed before he does it. Here, you can't run SE exposed on a brick and mortor house. So there is no need to run it at all, just THWN and conduit.
I personally see nothing wrong with SE run on the outside exposed.

Status
Not open for further replies.