Generator install

Status
Not open for further replies.

TobyD

With all the recent power outages due to storm activity I've recieved several calls for generator power back up systems.Most of these are simple and small units.I have one upcoming that is somewhat different,the owner has two generators ready to be wired to the home.This is a 600 amp service with 3 -200 amp main lug indoor panels.

The retrofit is difficult to access the circuitry due to this being an after thought.My question is other than possibly using a wire gutter under each load center is there and exception to where it's permissible to nipple through from one panel to the other to obtain the critical circuits?There is two ATS and they each are a 20 circuit factory wired unit with the flexible conduit whip attached.My third panel as well as a subfeed lighting panel is presenting the issue.Any thoughts or ref. points is much appreciated.....

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
You may be violating the "one feeder to a structure" codes, by using more than one generator.

the blur

Redundant generators. I like that. triple redundacy, like air craft. Always 2 systems on standby.

I don't even have a generator in my own house. For the once a year I need it, I wait it out. 4 hours most without power.

stickboy1375

Redundant generators. I like that. triple redundacy, like air craft. Always 2 systems on standby.

I don't even have a generator in my own house. For the once a year I need it, I wait it out. 4 hours most without power.

Thats what most New Englanders thought as well, then we got hit by a freak October snow storm, most without power for 5-7 days, I must have installed 30+ automatic generators this winter...

fmtjfw

Are the generators to run at the same time?

Are the generators to run at the same time?

If the generators are to be run at the same time are they designed/listed to sync up? If not you may want to split the loads and have each generator feed separately

TobyD

These are intended to be used at the same time.The loads will be split and 2 ATS .I advised the contractor form the beginning to use one large gen. set.But, after he checked pricing it was less for him to purchase two smaller units.These are 15kw. ea. and he has them already in place with natural gas piping for their fuel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.