Is more than 1 receptacle required on a kitchen island "ever"

Status
Not open for further replies.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Just had an inspection and the inspector failed to pass the job because, I have a kitchen island with a sink in it and only one receptacle. There is an 18" counter space behind the sink and one outlet on the island. I argued that the exception says on an island you only need one outlet, and there was no "unless" in the exception.

If anyone has an ROP on this issue I would love to see it. P.S. 2005NEC code cycle.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
(2) At least one receptacle shall be installed at each island
counter space with a long dimension of 600 mm (24 in.) or greater and a short dimension
of 300 mm (12 in.) or greater. Where a rangetop or sink is installed in an island counter
and the width of the counter behind the rangetop or sink is less than 300 mm (12 in.), the
rangetop or sink is considered to divide the island into two separate countertop spaces as
defined in 210.52(C)(4).

Strife

In your situation, NO.
If the counter space would be less than 12" behind the sink, then yes, it'd be considered 2 different counter tops.

Just had an inspection and the inspector failed to pass the job because, I have a kitchen island with a sink in it and only one receptacle. There is an 18" counter space behind the sink and one outlet on the island. I argued that the exception says on an island you only need one outlet, and there was no "unless" in the exception.

If anyone has an ROP on this issue I would love to see it. P.S. 2005NEC code cycle.

stickboy1375

So what code section did he fail you on?

resistance

Some inspectors are lacking when it comes to posting what code has been violated. Yet, they do post a brief comment on what they believe is a violation. I say for the money many of us spend, we deserve better service!!! Especially from those jurisdictions charging $300 for a five to ten minute inspection.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
and for areas like TN that charge $ 27.00 for a Rough-In, the inspector should just wave as we drive by :) but to the credit of most of my fellow insectors they normally perform a pretty thorough inspection.

Strife

Wished that was true in my area.
Service change, 1800 dollars. 280 dollars permit fee. 15% for a permit? The 1800 dollars includes the permit, so it's actually almost 17.5%

And this is not the highest I have paid.
I paid many times 150-180 dollars for 600-1000 dollar jobs. And again this included permit fees, and inspection time, and taking the plans to the city and picking up the permit, and, and, and.......
It seems to me in our area permitting is like a regressive tax. 1K to 10K cost you 15%-20%, but a million dollar job is about 2.5%, which is still high, mind you, but still a regressive tax.

and for areas like TN that charge $ 27.00 for a Rough-In, the inspector should just wave as we drive by :)

Chasman

I don't think this is an exception.
210.52(C)(2) states that if the distance behind the rangetop or sink is less 12" then it is considered two separate areas. I intertrep this as saying if it is greater than 12" thaen the island is only required to have one receptacle.

I am having this discussion with an inspector right now on the same situation. Only since there is a range at one end and a prep sink at the other(10' long island with a 18" overhang). He some how says I need a receptacle in the middle.

stickboy1375

I am having this discussion with an inspector right now on the same situation. Only since there is a range at one end and a prep sink at the other(10' long island with a 18" overhang). He some how says I need a receptacle in the middle.

And he would be right, and you would have to have it installed on top of the countertop if the overhang is more than 6"...

Chasman

I don't see where this is required.
210.52(C)(4) reads if the space behind the sink or range is less than 12" it will be considered to be divided into two spaces.
The space behind these is 18". I interpret this to say this is not divided into two spaces and only one receptacle is required.

210.52(C)(1) refers to space behind a sink to a wall.

Please help if I am missing something. I am in the rough stage and can easily fix it now.

Thanks

stickboy1375

210.52 (C)(2) requires a receptacle on every island 24"x12"

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't see where this is required.
210.52(C)(4) reads if the space behind the sink or range is less than 12" it will be considered to be divided into two spaces.
The space behind these is 18". I interpret this to say this is not divided into two spaces and only one receptacle is required.

I agree with your assessment since the space is 18". The island could be 20' long and still only requires one receptacle.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
So the Follow up,,,,,,,

I was very nice about it, I said I respectfully disagree and would like the chance to revisit the issue later. (I didn't have my code book with me due to my van breaking down).
The inspector was very nice about it, but he was also certain I was wrong. So I posted the question here and got the answer I expected, I knew I was right :D So I called him back, got his voice mail and left the code section. He called back and admitted he was mistaken, thanked me for pointing out the code section and said "your good, no need to cut in an outlet".

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
and for areas like TN that charge $ 27.00 for a Rough-In, the inspector should just wave as we drive by :) but to the credit of most of my fellow insectors they normally perform a pretty thorough inspection.

They must think we are "well to do" here, we have to pay a whopping $30.00.:lol:

And I will agree, the inspectors here do a thorough job as well, sometimes too thorough.:huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.