PVC insulated wires in PVC conduit buried in passage way

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

T.M.Haja Sahib

A contractor buried 19mm diameter size PVC conduit with wall thickness 1.00 mm containing 2 nos PVC insulated aluminium wires supplying 230V in a 3'' trench in an open pedestrian passage way and covered the trench with cement mortar without getting any approval from me for the method he adopted.(I originally suggested to him to use PVC insulated and PVC sheathed armored 2 core aluminium underground cable for this purpose.) Is his method legal? Thanks.

Last edited:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Yes.You are right.It was around 3'' to 3.5'' deep.

Well, that's one violation. The top of the pipe still has to be at least 4 inches from grade level. That would require a bare minimum of a 5 inch trench to assure that the entire run, even the fittings, are 4 inches under.

Next, what is labeled on the pipe? 352.120 requires marking. 352.6 requires listing. If the conduit is not marked as PVC underground listed conduit, that is a violation.

Of course, I am using the 08 NEC for my info. You may not have to abide by that.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

Of course, I am using the 08 NEC for my info. You may not have to abide by that.

What do you mean by above?The above information not available in 11 NEC and so violating it is not a safety issue?

Thanks.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
What do you mean by above?The above information not available in 11 NEC and so violating it is not a safety issue?

Thanks.

What I meant was that if your jurisdiction has not adopted the NEC as law, you would not have to follow the NEC.

For instance, the NEC poses voltage limitations on PV systems. In Europe, the limitation is higher as they did not adopt (at least that part) of the NEC as law.

In other words, you do not have to abide by the NEC unless your area has adopted it as law. If your area has, then what I posted would be violations. I got the info out of the 08. I'm pretty sure it is the same in the 2011 book.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Yea, I see that 4 inches on Table 300.5
Since, concrete is conductive, its that step potential that gets ya..
Must remember to make small steps in public walkways.

Status
Not open for further replies.