romex

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidtite

the instal that we did was not inspected I was wondering if it would pass if it was my boss said it has befor. we installed a disconnect for a outside condensor unit. we ran 10-2nm from the panel inside a chase and ran down the side of the house using the raseway that the hvac guys use to conseal their lines,it looks like a fake gutter .from the bottom of their raseway we sleved the romex through liquidtite and intered the disconect. my question was is that raseway considered a damp location wouldnt you have to use uf?anouther question i have is isnt nm only permisible for use in dry locations then why can you run it in pvc alongside a building or house?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Your installation is a violation.
you are correct the NM cable is good for dry location. The conduit or raceway outside of the building is considered a wet location so no NM allowed in it.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
the instal that we did was not inspected I was wondering if it would pass if it was my boss said it has befor. we installed a disconnect for a outside condensor unit. we ran 10-2nm from the panel inside a chase and ran down the side of the house using the raseway that the hvac guys use to conseal their lines,it looks like a fake gutter .from the bottom of their raseway we sleved the romex through liquidtite and intered the disconect. my question was is that raseway considered a damp location wouldnt you have to use uf?anouther question i have is isnt nm only permisible for use in dry locations then why can you run it in pvc alongside a building or house?

You cannot us romex in a wet location.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Here is the code Article.

334.12 Uses Not Permitted.

(B) Types NM and NMS. Types NM and NMS cables
shall not be used under the following conditions or in the
following locations:
(1) Where exposed to corrosive fumes or vapors
(2) Where embedded in masonry, concrete, adobe, fill, or
plaster
(3) In a shallow chase in masonry, concrete, or adobe and
covered with plaster, adobe, or similar finish
(4) In wet or damp locations

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Yes, You are correct! I was just trying not to beat up on the op to much... :)

Well this is a good place for him to learn .

In my opinion they should make a change to romex so it can be used in this application.:thumbsup:

liquidtite

thats what i figured but i see romex run inside pvc along the side of buildings all the time so i was confused.i knew outside in conduit is a damp location but i wasnt shure if their was an exception to the nm only used in dry location if it was in conduit bc i see it so much thanks for clearing it up for me

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
300.9 Raceways in Wet Locations. Above grade. Where raceways are installed in wet locations abovegrade, the interior of these raceways shall be considered to be a wet location. Insulated conductors and cables installed in raceways in wet locations abovegrade shall comply with 310.10(C).

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
i am wondering, and this probably something that seasoned electricians can answer. From your experience, lets talk theory, will the NM cable get damaged if it was installed outside of the building, in a conduit, under the eave. Besides it being a NEC violation is the manufacturer trying to sell us more stuff or the NM cable does get damaged.

Don't get me wrong i have seen some damaged NM cable that has been cooking on the roof for years, I am not talking abouyt extreme conditions. With the same token i have seen NM cable installed underground that has been there for 15 years and the jacket is still fine.

I am just wondering.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
i am wondering, and this probably something that seasoned electricians can answer. From your experience, lets talk theory, will the NM cable get damaged if it was installed outside of the building, in a conduit, under the eave.

I am just wondering.
I don't think it is a problem. I have romex in the ceiling of my porch. If it were in PVC, above or or below the finished ceiling I'm sure it would be fine.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I don't think it is a problem. I have romex in the ceiling of my porch. If it were in PVC, above or or below the finished ceiling I'm sure it would be fine.

Try looking at it like this, if you wouldn't run an exposed NM in an exterior location, you can't run it inside of a conduit in the same location.

Status
Not open for further replies.