Another GFIC receptacle "nuisance trip" thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I have read and I agree with the mind set of, "there is no such thing as nuisance tripping of a GFCI, there is always a reason for them to trip. You just need to find the problem."

But I did hear an interesting comment made by a Leviton rep. He said that in the receptacles they are held closed by a latch and spring. Over time that latch can get loosened up and cause the outlet to trip. That is why they say to test them monthly.
I have never heard that before and I haven't taken one apart to see if that makes any sense, but it seemed like a good comment to toss out here. Should Leviton be retraining their reps. or is this a valid comment?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Is has mechanical parts and electronics inside. Just like everything else GFCI do fail. So the first test if a GFCI keeps tripping is replace it with a good device, if it still trips then the circuit is bad or the what ever gets plugged in it is defective. I think teh reps comments are valid.

Some years back I have heard that GFCIs have a 12% failure rate.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Is has mechanical parts and electronics inside. Just like everything else GFCI do fail. So the first test if a GFCI keeps tripping is replace it with a good device, if it still trips then the circuit is bad or the what ever gets plugged in it is defective. I think teh reps comments are valid.

Keep in mind I posted this because, If there is no such thing as a "nuisance trip" what would you call that?

cowboyjwc

Staff member

When I first started it was closer to 75%.

Also, I agree with Bob and Gus.:happyyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.