E-mon D-emon

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryB

I never heard of these metering devices until I saw one recently. I met with the electrical inspector and POCO at a commercial site that had a 600 amp 3-phase service with one meter. The 2nd floor was a separate space to rent and they wanted to get a meter on the power up there for billing purposes. The inspector thought I could tap off of the 600 amp main (line side because of the CT's) to a separate meter and panel and rewire the breakers (3 3phase breakers for the second floor, 2 100's and one 30, to the new panel) This was going to be pricey as it was, but then POCO said no you have to change all the switch gear, it's real old, etc. This is a 600 amp underground service and the building houses a bank that is open 6 days a week. Well to get to the E-mon De-mon someone must have had this problem with POCO before because there was one of these already installed next to the panel that had the three second floor breakers in it. The inspector pointed it out to me, and then POCO immediately said "that's illegal". So I had two questions, how good are these? it appears to be working, and could POCO tell the owner he can't meter his own equipment and make a private deal with whoever rents the space?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I never heard of these metering devices until I saw one recently. I met with the electrical inspector and POCO at a commercial site that had a 600 amp 3-phase service with one meter. The 2nd floor was a separate space to rent and they wanted to get a meter on the power up there for billing purposes. The inspector thought I could tap off of the 600 amp main (line side because of the CT's) to a separate meter and panel and rewire the breakers (3 3phase breakers for the second floor, 2 100's and one 30, to the new panel) This was going to be pricey as it was, but then POCO said no you have to change all the switch gear, it's real old, etc. This is a 600 amp underground service and the building houses a bank that is open 6 days a week. Well to get to the E-mon De-mon someone must have had this problem with POCO before because there was one of these already installed next to the panel that had the three second floor breakers in it. The inspector pointed it out to me, and then POCO immediately said "that's illegal". So I had two questions, how good are these? it appears to be working, and could POCO tell the owner he can't meter his own equipment and make a private deal with whoever rents the space?

It depends on the state or municipal rules governing the "resale" of electricity. Some allow it, some don't. Most I have seen that allow it only allow you to resell it for what you paid the POCO to allow for cost allocation to a tenant- in other words you can't profit from it.

97catintenn

Or you get credits applied to your electrical bill at the end of the month. If you are producing power to be continuously applied to the grid than you are considered a power plant and will get paid wholesale prices for your kwh.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Or you get credits applied to your electrical bill at the end of the month. If you are producing power to be continuously applied to the grid than you are considered a power plant and will get paid wholesale prices for your kwh.

We're not talking about power generation, but rather allocating cost to a second tenant in a building with a single meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.