T8 U-tubes for Parabolic 2 by 2 fixture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerplay

In a 2 by 2 fixture, in a rush order ordered T8 U-tubes which are easy to install and I beleive the same light output the one with four 2 foot tubes, but in appearance I just installed the u-tubes facing the same way. Any pro's/cons with u-tubes versus straight tubes? I wanted the straight ones but got the u-tubes, but they do have the same light output? ..lifespan?

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I have found that my crew will just slap them in without squareing them up so the pins are seated correctly. They work for a while then burn a tombstone.

Stevareno

I look at it this way.
With U-lamps you are stuck with having to install all the fixtures one way if you care about them all looking the same from the ground.
With straight lamps you have the option to rotate the fixture 180 degrees if the need arises.

Electric-Light

Another option is 36W or 40W PL-L. They use a single-side 2G11 4pin socket, so they're immune from misalignment.

Efficacy is slightly less than F32T8/U but better than 4xF17T8. Lamps are rated 24,000 hours.

broadgage

Another possible drawback of U tubes is that in the UK and presumably elswhere, they are available in only a very limited range of colours. Often 830 and 840 only.
The common lengths of staight tubes are available in 827, 830, 840, 860, 940, 965, and many others. Might be a problem if the end user wants a less common lamp colour in the future.

Electric-Light

Another possible drawback of U tubes is that in the UK and presumably elswhere, they are available in only a very limited range of colours. Often 830 and 840 only.
The common lengths of staight tubes are available in 827, 830, 840, 860, 940, 965, and many others. Might be a problem if the end user wants a less common lamp colour in the future.

Here, uncommon sizes and many CFLs are only available in 830, 835, and 841. We have 850 here and there, but only in limited selections. More so now than five years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.