Black and Decker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a situation in which there are GFCI receptacles on an AFCI circuit. The customer bought a brand new Black and Decker electric mower and plugged in one of these GFCI receptacles and the AFCI breaker tripped. So he plugged into another GFCI receptacle that was on another AFCI circuit and it also tripped. I found that if the mower was plugged into a GFCI receptacle that was not on an AFCI circuit the mower ran with no problems. Any thoughts?

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I have a situation in which there are GFCI receptacles on an AFCI circuit. The customer bought a brand new Black and Decker electric mower and plugged in one of these GFCI receptacles and the AFCI breaker tripped. So he plugged into another GFCI receptacle that was on another AFCI circuit and it also tripped. I found that if the mower was plugged into a GFCI receptacle that was not on an AFCI circuit the mower ran with no problems. Any thoughts?
Are you saying mower always trips AFCI but never GFCI? And so may be defective or not compatible?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Why do they have GFI on arc fault? Is it because you need AFI everywhere in the new code? We are on the 05 in ct.

probably the outside receptacles are on the same circuits as bedroom or living room or any circuit that has AFCI protection.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Any thoughts? The gfci has nothing to do with the afci tripping. The afci is functioning as intended by design. It recognizes the load of the BnD as an arc that should be extinguished. It does not care that the mower is new and most likely operating within its design parameters.

Best hint is to run some new gfci circuits that are not on the afci.

Gac66610

we have reached the point that we run 1 or 2 GFCI circuits to avoid putting GFCI on AFCI protected circuits
the cost of the wire (in most cases) is less than the cost of GFCI receptacles

Gac66610

Any thoughts? The gfci has nothing to do with the afci tripping. The afci is functioning as intended by design. It recognizes the load of the BnD as an arc that should be extinguished. It does not care that the mower is new and most likely operating within its design parameters.

who says we cant read minds ... :lol::cool:

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I have a situation in which there are GFCI receptacles on an AFCI circuit. The customer bought a brand new Black and Decker electric mower and plugged in one of these GFCI receptacles and the AFCI breaker tripped. So he plugged into another GFCI receptacle that was on another AFCI circuit and it also tripped. I bet the mower has some too. I found that if the mower was plugged into a GFCI receptacle that was not on an AFCI circuit the mower ran with no problems. Any thoughts?
New AFCI breakers hate motors with electronics. I bet the mower has some.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector

Yet another AFCI story. You really believe it is working as designed? And I believe in the Tooth Fairy.:)

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm curious what brand AFCI's were used? I have used Square D, Cutler Hammer and Siemens. 99% of the AFCI tripping complaints I have received over the years have been from Square D. I have actually been avoiding Square D for the last couple of years because of the tripping complaints and also the physical size of the breakers. I have been using almost exclusively Siemens since late last year and haven't had 1 complaint. I was at a home recently we wired and there were 3 finish carpenters doing pick up work. Each one had a compressor and chop saw. I asked how often they had to reset the breakers and they replied not at all. I know with Square D every AFCI in the house would be tripped and all the tools would be plugged in to the bathroom or kitchen receptacles.

Status
Not open for further replies.