cold water bond

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBLES

I have a customer who has a cold water entrance at one end of building and service at opposite end of building he just got Occupancy report needing cold water bond. The building is wood frame and closed ceiling the only accessible area is outside. Do I have to run wire cold water conductor all the way around building from cold water to service.? Commercial building no access thru inside wall or ceiling.

eprice

What type of water pipe enters the building? Is there at least 10' of underground metal water line where it enters the building?

MBLES

What type of water pipe enters the building? Is there at least 10' of underground metal water line where it enters the building?

Yes it enters building with 10' or more I just can access because of closed ceilings I have to attach outside as it enters building. I was going to run outside of building from one corner to the next. Any other suggestions?

pete m.

I would look a little harder for the bond to the water piping. Depending on the age of the service the NEC used to accept a GEC to be connected anywhere on the water line... not just within the first 5 feet of entrance. Without looking I think it was permitted pre 99 NEC?

Pete

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I would look a little harder for the bond to the water piping. Depending on the age of the service the NEC used to accept a GEC to be connected anywhere on the water line... not just within the first 5 feet of entrance. Without looking I think it was permitted pre 99 NEC?

Pete
Seems like good advice.

It would seem like it had to have been there at some point or it could not have passed inspection.

MBLES

Pete

Yes I understand but there are no exposed water lines in building everyting is exposed just wondering of any other method or experience with this problem just trying to see if anyone had a good solution. And I will look into building construction and nec thanks

Gac66610

Check inside the panel see if there is a ground wire, if so how many, 1 for driven ground, 2 then the water pipe is probably already bonded

Gac66610

That would take an 8 foot tall meter can. :D POCO here does not allow any GEC in their

meter. GEC must land at first disconnect. Some times those meter-panel combo units

would be handy, but nobody allows them.

POCO allows them here, we just dont use them that often

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You said cold water bond. Are you looking to bond the metal piping system or use it as an electrode?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
it only has to be within the 5' of the entrance to the building if you are using it for grounding, he said bond, so it can be anywhere on the system as long as it's accessible.

John120/240

only has to be within the it 5' of the entrance to the building if you are using it for grounding, he said bond, so it can be anywhere on the system as long as it's accessible.

Confused If the metal water pipe is present and at least 10 feet in contact with earth then we

have to use it for grounding ? Wrong or Right ??

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Confused If the metal water pipe is present and at least 10 feet in contact with earth then we

Yes, if it's 10' or more buried in the ground then it qualifies as an electrode and must be used. If not, but is still part of a metal piping system then it requires bonding. The connection point requirements may differ.

John120/240

Yes, if it's 10' or more buried in the ground then it qualifies as an electrode and must be used. If not, but is still part of a metal piping system then it requires bonding. The connection point requirements may differ.

Got It. A home with PVC water service & metal interior piping would require bonding at any

convieient location as cowboyjwc said.

Gac66610

Correct.

Here we only require that it be bonded, since there is really no way to verify that there is 10' of metal water piping in the ground.

We asked one of our plumbers to use less than 10ft of copper (metal) piping outside so all we had to do is "bond" it, he got flagged for not using atleast 10ft of copper (metal) pipe outside :lol:

catch 22 .... caught

Status
Not open for further replies.