Grd. rod question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buck, I went to Lowes and indeed those rods are 1/2" however they are UL listed so whoever turned it down here should not have. There is a UL sticker on the rod however it is about 8" down from the top of the rod.

I complained at Lowes about the fact that they are selling them as 5/8"X8' rods when in fact they are 1/2" rods. We'll see if they do anything about it. They were very appreciative that I brought it to their attention. Unfortunately those labels are made at the Home Offices so they would have to get all stores to change.

FWIW the rods are made by Galvan Industries out of Harrisburg, NC

OMG........:ashamed1:I've been driving my ground rods upside down..........

BTW....if I mount a duplex receptacle horizontally.....should the ground slot be to the right or the left?

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I just spoke with an individual at Galvan and he states that the rods really measure 9/16" but he assures me that they are UL listed and comply with the NEC. I am surprised that I could actually see that they were smaller than a standard 5/8" rod.

So Buck it seems you now have 4 rods and didn't need the extra two.

renosteinke

You're right, Dennis ... but it's my belief that UL requires the stamping in this case. I could be wrong.

The "box stores" have been caught in the past, selling substandard or 'unique' materials. Some of their primary suppliers are on "100%" testing by UL. I can't really go into details, but perhaps you understand why I began to think 'counterfeit.'

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Rob, I also owe you an apology. My reply was far more curt than it should have been ... I blame it on simple fatigue .... and I grovel abjectly in my shame.

Thank you for being a gent.

No problem, we're all gentlemen here. :cool:

You're right, Dennis ... but it's my belief that UL requires the stamping in this case. I could be wrong.

The "box stores" have been caught in the past, selling substandard or 'unique' materials. Some of their primary suppliers are on "100%" testing by UL. I can't really go into details, but perhaps you understand why I began to think 'counterfeit.'

The rods that I get from the supply house are stamped UL listed every foot or so. Not sure if UL requires the stamping on listed rods or just a sticker. If you use a 5/8" rod it won't matter. ;)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation

I do understand the counterfeit talk esp. since there has been a lot of it throughout the country. I did speak with the company and I felt certain that these are legit with the UL 467 approval. I will see what UL has to say about it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I found this in UL and it does not state it must be stamped. I must say I have never seen my suppliers rod with that info on it.

Ground rods are marked with the rod length, and manufacturer?s name and catalog number within 12 in. of the top of the rod.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I just spoke with an individual at Galvan and he states that the rods really measure 9/16" but he assures me that they are UL listed and comply with the NEC. I am surprised that I could actually see that they were smaller than a standard 5/8" rod.

So Buck it seems you now have 4 rods and didn't need the extra two.

Wow! - talk about a moderator going the extra mile to help the OP!
Maybe just a case of an inspector that is unelightend and a gentle nudge will get him to see the light and chalk it up to experience. Of course I have worked in jurisdictions where the culture is such that the inspector might well tell you "to bad, if you don't like file an appeal" and be real offended, though I don't think most are that closed minded.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Well. Buck lives in Durham, NC which is 10 minutes away and he was working a few miles from my home so I just would like that not to happen to others.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
BTW, I got a call back from Galvan and they said all the info on the tag is also stamped on the top( driving end) 6"

Status
Not open for further replies.