Halo H7ICAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Has anyone here ever had a problem with installing standard 6" recessed cans in a sloped ceiling? Sloped cans and trims seem to run about 4 times more than non sloped and I've used them for years in areas where the ceiling pitch is minimal(4-12,5-12).General contractors want cans but balk at the higher price sloped style. I couldn't find anywhere in the install info (Halo) where it said not to use them. Am being told by the AHJ that they are not listed for that use. Am going to call Halo and get their take on it. Thanks.

Speshulk

Has anyone here ever had a problem with installing standard 6" recessed cans in a sloped ceiling? Sloped cans and trims seem to run about 4 times more than non sloped and I've used them for years in areas where the ceiling pitch is minimal(4-12,5-12).General contractors want cans but balk at the higher price sloped style. I couldn't find anywhere in the install info (Halo) where it said not to use them. Am being told by the AHJ that they are not listed for that use. Am going to call Halo and get their take on it. Thanks.

Ask him where the listing is for a flat ceiling.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
FWIW, GC's balk at any price you give them for anything. Anyway, the sloped fixture cans are a few bucks more than a std cans but the trims are what's expensive. They're not round they're oblong and the cans give you the ability to adjust the direction of the bulb within the can itself. IMHO they give a better ceiling look than std. cans with eyeball trims do. If you check the specs on the sloped can I believe you can use PAR bulbs (I think 90 watt max but I could be wrong) and that will give you much more light than using a std trim with 65 watt R-30 bulbs.

Speshulk

FWIW, GC's balk at any price you give them for anything. Anyway, the sloped fixture cans are a few bucks more than a std cans but the trims are what's expensive. They're not round they're oblong and the cans give you the ability to adjust the direction of the bulb within the can itself. IMHO they give a better ceiling look than std. cans with eyeball trims do. If you check the specs on the sloped can I believe you can use PAR bulbs (I think 90 watt max but I could be wrong) and that will give you much more light than using a std trim with 65 watt R-30 bulbs.

That may be true, but you need the higher wattage because so much of the bulb is hidden up inside the fixture. I guess the look is a matter of taste, but the cans for sloped ceilings always look goofy to me. I prefer a light that's square to the plane of the surface it's on. The angle is just about meaningless. If you can see the bulb, you're getting light from it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Contact sunstar lighting - 1.888.803.3907. I generally don't buy from places like this but I have used their regressed eyeballs for years and they work fine don't discolor and are fairly cheap. The catalog # is 10825W for white baffle 10825P for black baffle

Strife

Huh? Cans should be the same. The trim may cost more, but I don't think it's 4 times.
The can itself should have a list of trims you can use with.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Huh? Cans should be the same. The trim may cost more, but I don't think it's 4 times.
The can itself should have a list of trims you can use with.
A Halo sloped ceiling can is designed specifically for angle mount and can be used with a downlight trim. See image below. These cans cost a lot more than a standard can. If a ceiling is very steep the eyeball will not adjust to a total down position

H47T.jpg

ceb58

A Halo sloped ceiling can is designed specifically for angle mount and can be used with a downlight trim. See image below. These cans cost a lot more than a standard can. If a ceiling is very steep the eyeball will not adjust to a total down position

H47T.jpg

E-Cono light has them for around $20.00 ea and the trim for $9.00ea.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
On one hand, depending on the size of the room, it doesn't really matter if you use regular cans, because the cans on the right side of the slope illuminate the left side of the room and the cans on the left side of the slope illuminate the right side of the room.

BUT...depending on the overall height of the ceiling this can produce shadows on the wall.

Recently my aunt and her girlfriend added an all-season porch to their house and I told them it would be more money for the sloped style cans and was almost willing to let them get the regular cans...but we decided on the sloped cans. They come in two different ranges for Lightolier. I think it's 15-30% pitch and 30-45% pitch. They look so much nicer, the light comes directly down from above and the only shadows are on your feet.

Their lights are 9-10 feet above the floor, your mileage may vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.