"programmed" rapid start ballasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

I've got some T5HO ballasts that art labeled "Programmed Rapid start". I know that conventional rapid start usually means instant on, I'm not sure about the programmed part and is this a fixed value or something that can be changed? The ballasts in question take approx 2-3 seconds to light the lamps. I saw no type of adjustment to change anything. Thanks.

iwire

Staff member
I believe 'programed start' ballasts are high end ballasts that are supposed to make the lamps last longer in fixtures that cycle on and off a lot like those controlled by motion sensors.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think Bob nailed it. I found this here -- 2nd page. I realize this is T8

GE UltraStart? is a new generation of T8 and Programmed Start (PS) ballasts that addresses the growing demand for energy-saving strategies incorporating occupancy sensors and other automated light controls to meet strict energy legislation. Switching lights off when an area is unoccupied
or filled with daylight makes sense from an energy-savings viewpoint and it is also recommended or required now by several energy regulations.
However, on standard Instant Start (IS) ballasts, lamp life is significantly affected by frequent starting. Programmed Start (PS) ballasts provide a “soft start” and significantly reduce the cathode degradation occurring from each start. PS ballasts have been available for some time but have suffered from several drawbacks:
(1) they are less efficient than IS ballasts

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I've got some T5HO ballasts that art labeled "Programmed Rapid start". I know that conventional rapid start usually means instant on, I'm not sure about the programmed part and is this a fixed value or something that can be changed? The ballasts in question take approx 2-3 seconds to light the lamps. I saw no type of adjustment to change anything. Thanks.

T5 HO? you have six tube high bay fixtures with motion sensors?

nizak

No, they are in some 4' raintite fixtures. Looks like you've all answered my question, thanks loads.

Bbg1229

Program start ballast

Program start ballast

The program part means that the ballast preheats the filament before it allows the ignition of the lamps.

IMFOTP

"programmed" rapid start ballasts

He says the ballasts are labeled "programmed rapid start". So then what is the difference between programmed start, and programmed rapid start?

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
He says the ballasts are labeled "programmed rapid start". So then what is the difference between programmed start, and programmed rapid start?

well, there is rapid start, instant start, and programed start.

instant start keeps the filaments on and warm all the time. not efficient.

rapid start isn't as fast to light up, draws less idling power, lamps last longer.
doesn't like high cycling rates.

programmed start is in between those, and is designed for energy saving systems
where they lamps are cycled on and off a bunch... so, technically it *is* a rapid
start ballast with a faster start optimized for high cyclic rates... the word rapid
in conjunction with proigrammed, i'm suspecting is a lot like "new and improved"
to an advertiser selling spin.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.