Help with junction box size

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
I am going with around 30 x 30 but it IMO depends on the lay out of the conductors and how that affects the 12" that will be required between entries of the same conductors.

iwire

Staff member
Then I would say 30x34

Calculate 22x18 but I think you need to add 12" to keep the pipes apart.

I get 22 x 22 and 'some distance' to keep the pipes apart. consider if the 12" measurement between entries is at 45 degrees relative to the can the extra distance needed on each wall would be 6"

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I get 22 x 22 and 'some distance' to keep the pipes apart. consider if the 12" measurement between entries is at 45 degrees relative to the can the extra distance needed on each wall would be 6"
Yep- I was still thinking 4 instead of 6 on the one side 22x22 but I would give some room for bending - 30x30 would work depending on how they are laid out. If all the pipes were grouped as far away as possible then a 22x22 may work also. I would love to know exactly how this should be.

Do you agree there should be 12 inches between the conduits for the bends.

iwire

Staff member
Do you agree there should be 12 inches between the conduits for the bends.

Only conduits containing the same conductors have to be 12" apart so it seems if he could roll the groups of conductors 180 degrees in the box he could make the box smaller if he wanted to.

But I have become the Red Sox of code info today so no promises.:eek:hmy:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Why is that. I too have had days when I could get nothing right. Seems odd but even the great teams stumble occasionally. The Red Sox were proof of that last night. 9 run lead and blew it.

Status
Not open for further replies.