feed through lugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbymari

hello all. anyone aware of a 200 amp residential all in one service with feed through lugggs. new service was spotted on detached garage and owner would like to be able to drop off some circuits at garage yet still have full 200 amps at house sub. ive found lug blocks for 150 and 225 amps as well as load centers but no 200 amp either lugg blocks or meter main all in one with feed thrulluggs. any suggestions would be appreciated

kwired

Electron manager
hello all. anyone aware of a 200 amp residential all in one service with feed through lugggs. new service was spotted on detached garage and owner would like to be able to drop off some circuits at garage yet still have full 200 amps at house sub. ive found lug blocks for 150 and 225 amps as well as load centers but no 200 amp either lugg blocks or meter main all in one with feed thrulluggs. any suggestions would be appreciated

Milbank and Midwest both have these - I have used both. There are probably others. Usually have meter, 200 amp main, spaces for 8 branch circuits (maybe rated for 16 if tandems are used) and 200 amp subfeed lugs. Very handy for exactly what you described as your installation, or for mobile or manufactured homes and there is a need to supply accessory structures.

Add: found link to Milbank product: http://www.milbankmfg.com/products/catalogs/CatalogFiles/PDF/5168.pdf

Add: they also have an interlock kit - you can make this unit into a relatively inexpensive manual transfer switch by installing a generator main next to the factory main and use the interlock kit.

Last edited:
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Milbank and Midwest both have these - I have used both. There are probably others. Usually have meter, 200 amp main, spaces for 8 branch circuits (maybe rated for 16 if tandems are used) and 200 amp subfeed lugs. Very handy for exactly what you described as your installation, or for mobile or manufactured homes and there is a need to supply accessory structures.

Add: found link to Milbank product: http://www.milbankmfg.com/products/catalogs/CatalogFiles/PDF/5168.pdf

Add: they also have an interlock kit - you can make this unit into a relatively inexpensive manual transfer switch by installing a generator main next to the factory main and use the interlock kit.

Dad gummit now everyone is going to know about those. I have used them both as well.

templdl

Mmmmmm, Still have full 200a at the house sub. Does that mean that there is more that 200a available for feed through? Is the service drop going to support it?

bobbymari

yea service drop of 200 amps is more than sufficient, this is a moduler pre built house where the drop was spotted on dteached garage. garage only has 2 convenience circuits to it.(office type garage). load calcs for house is only 90 amps, it is just owners/builders preference to set it up this way. I don't mind the extra money Ill make for yanking in 2/0 feeders . But thanks to everyone for helpful input, I actually found a siemans 200 amp all in one with room for 200 amp subfeed breaker as well as 2 extra spaces for full size breakers. Did the trick perfectly, next step diggin..(good times)

kwired

Electron manager
Mmmmmm, Still have full 200a at the house sub. Does that mean that there is more that 200a available for feed through? Is the service drop going to support it?

It means there is a 200 amp service supplying both the house and the garage no matter which one is first in the lineup.

If significant load is needed at either building - you have a problem either way also. Most of the time the garage load is minimal.

templdl

It means there is a 200 amp service supplying both the house and the garage no matter which one is first in the lineup.

If significant load is needed at either building - you have a problem either way also. Most of the time the garage load is minimal.

That's my thought so why not feed it with a breaker (30a?) on the panel feeding the garage and call it a day? I guess I may have missed the importance of the subfeed lugs is the proposed garage load is so small. It appears to me that it's a lot to do about nothing then.

bobbymari

this is the panel feeding garage there is no sub panel at garage circuits come straight from this panel yet still allow for full amperage to pass on down the line to the house , just in case.... I'm with you bro in this setup it's overkill but its what they want and are payin for so if I don't make it happen guess what, kwired or templdl does ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

kwired

Electron manager
That's my thought so why not feed it with a breaker (30a?) on the panel feeding the garage and call it a day? I guess I may have missed the importance of the subfeed lugs is the proposed garage load is so small. It appears to me that it's a lot to do about nothing then.

this is the panel feeding garage there is no sub panel at garage circuits come straight from this panel yet still allow for full amperage to pass on down the line to the house , just in case.... I'm with you bro in this setup it's overkill but its what they want and are payin for so if I don't make it happen guess what, kwired or templdl does ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

It is a very easy way to deal with powering the garage if the garage happens to be in the path of the service lateral. Done this many times. If garage would be beyond the house in relation to POCO supply then you put the service on the house and the garage is supplied with a feeder. Sometimes in the latter situation I may still use the same meter/loadcenter at the house and supply the feeder from the loadcenter - subfeed lugs then supply the panel inside the house.

cpinetree

QO + CH part numbers

QO + CH part numbers

Square D QO: QC816F200C

Square D also makes a 400amp meter main: QU12L400SL (comes with 1-200amp breaker, purchase lug kit + additional breakers if needed)

Cutler Hammer CH: CMB88B200BTS (8circuit)
CMB1212B200BTS (12 circuit)
plus many other variations

Cutler Hammer BR: MB816B200BTS (8 full size / 16 1/2 size breakers)
many other variations also available

Status
Not open for further replies.