What to buy for ground testing equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

highvolts582

I was wondering if anyone knows of any products for testing pool bonding, house ground rods, etc I do not know where to start. if its all one tester or what. I want to do more than a continuity test on a pool bonding certification and was wondering if i could check resistance of the ground rods and such with the same device. Meghometer? I see them for cheap and always thought I needed to spend big money on one that works.

Thank you

zog

I was wondering if anyone knows of any products for testing pool bonding, house ground rods, etc I do not know where to start. if its all one tester or what. I want to do more than a continuity test on a pool bonding certification and was wondering if i could check resistance of the ground rods and such with the same device. Meghometer? I see them for cheap and always thought I needed to spend big money on one that works.

Thank you

You can't test ground rods with a Megger, if your ground resistance is in Megaohms you have problems. Your bets bet is a 3 point fall of potential test, you will need training to learn how to do the tests properly. This is a good starter set http://www.tequipment.net/AEMC6472Kitb.html

You don't need to measure the ground resistance if you just drive a 2nd rod, that is what most people do.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent

Thank you

Go here http://support.fluke.com/find-sales/Download/Asset/2633834_6115_ENG_A_W.PDF Read this. It shows what is probably the best tester out there, but also explains the principles so you can decide what level of testing you are willing to spend your money on.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I deal has the least expensive model for around 500 bucks. View attachment 6827 I see clamp on 'ground resistance testers' being available, but none of them say they are for earth ground testing.I don't see how a clamp can determine electrode resistance, but new stuff comes out all the time.
If you want the answer, go to the link I posted earlier and read the literature. It will set you in the direction to clear up all of your earth resistance questions.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
If you want the answer, go to the link I posted earlier and read the literature. It will set you in the direction to clear up all of your earth resistance questions.

It did clear one thing up. Clamp only can only be used to test ground loop resistance.

The tester automatically determines the ground
loop resistance at this ground rod. If there is
only one path to ground, like at many residential
situations, the Stakeless method will not
provide an acceptable value and the Fall-of-
Potential test method must be used.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.