Power Inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

fauxfly

Hi guys

I want to put a power inverter in my service truck and am wondering what you guys use for one. I tried a 1000W one from a local big box and it won't let me charge my cordless batteries, faults out immediatly. I tried another from a different guys truck, same thing. Faulted out right now! I talked to the Milwaukee cordeless tool guy and he says most battery chargers these days hate those power inverters. Something about how the AC is made and how the charger sees the incoming power.

I just want to be able to use the laptop, the printer, and charge my Panasonic batterys.

Am I asking to much!?!:cry:

Any thoughts guys??

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Hi guys

I want to put a power inverter in my service truck and am wondering what you guys use for one. I tried a 1000W one from a local big box and it won't let me charge my cordless batteries, faults out immediatly. I tried another from a different guys truck, same thing. Faulted out right now! I talked to the Milwaukee cordeless tool guy and he says most battery chargers these days hate those power inverters. Something about how the AC is made and how the charger sees the incoming power.

I just want to be able to use the laptop, the printer, and charge my Panasonic batterys.

Any thoughts guys??

You may need a true sine wave inverter.

http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Tech-Doctor/Universal/Tech1-Universal.pdf

Strife

I have couple 300W inverters bought long ago for 30 some dollars. Work just fine.
I use them for same thing, charging the phone, running the laptop, charging the cordless batteries.
Granted, I never tried the new milwaukee cordless I got recently. I hardly go through one battery with the lithium ones, let alone 2 a day.

Hi guys

Any thoughts guys??

broadgage

Another vote for Xantrax.
Cheap inverters produce a sqaure wave output, some battery chargers and other electronic goods wont work properly, or at all on square wave power. Some do, but dont count on it.

Xantrax or other high end inverters produce a sine wave at least as good as utility power, and whithin their power rating, will power anything.

Remember to leave the engine running if useing appreciable power, modern vehicle batteries have a suprisingly low reseve capacity and are soon dicharged to the point where the vehicle wont start.

Status
Not open for further replies.