Rewiring a block basement

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Hard on the knees, run above and down to boxes for me.

Well ..... truth be told ........ when I say 'we' I really mean the young apprentices.:cool:

On a large hotel job the foreman got the carpenters to install horizontal furring strips behind the baseboard than leave a gap between those horizontal ones and the vertical ones. That way we had no drilling to do.

iwire

Staff member
With the code mentioning the required distance for cables run 'parallel' to framing members ... I suppose I'll have to make sure everything is at a slight angle :D

They did say parallel, not perpendicular or anything about the distance from the face of the sheet rock.

And here is MA we are just crazy, the 1.25" has been reduced to .75".:eek:hmy::eek:hmy: Strangely there is no trail of homes burning down regardless.:cool:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Don, if I may, you would not install NM period.:p
My house is NM. We use NM for dwellings with 4 or less units where I am at...we haven't adopted the Chicago no NM code...yet. The chief building offical wants to, but I don't think it will happen.

I am remodeling my house and considering several options for desiring the basement. I plan to hire a licensed electrician to perform the work but feel I need to be better educated to make the right decision. I have been given three options for desiring the basement and don't know which is more cost effective. The entire basement is block walls with a poured top course and concrete foundation. The first option is to just fur out the walls, run the wire along the walls and then drywall over. Electrical cost is low but drywalling is expensive and all moulding needs to be reset. The second option is to try to fish the line through the voids in the block. We would then go back and repair damage as necessary. In this option, I don't understand how the electrician would exit the block wall at the top where the courses are poured. Can anyone suggest which option is most cost effective? Are there other options?

getting back to the OP.....I would want to have an idea of what you plan to do with the "remodeled" areas of the basement before I would give you any suggestions. Is it going to be 1 giant room? for what purpose? Will there be many rooms? Bedroom? Bathroom? Laundry room? Game room? Bedroom? Workshop? Kids playroom? Den?

Is this remodel something your planning to live with/in for many years to come? or are you planning to sell and move?

I'd want to know what's existing there now. Are there existing plumbing supply and drain lines along the block wall now? Gas lines? Would a 2"x 4" wall be able to incorporate these existing utilities.

Are you drywalling the ceiling? drop ceiling?

I would suggest trying to look at the whole picture.

Often going the "cheapest" with one part of a job makes other parts of a job more expensive.

No matter what you do it's going to cost you some $$, so make sure you're happy with the final product.....Random numbers.....you spend $5000.00 to remodel and its OK or you spend say $6400.00 and it's GREAT. Now divide that "extra" $1400.00 over the next 10 or 15 or 20 GREAT years. I know money doesn't grow on trees, but, if your going to live in that house for years to come and its remodel time...do it as right as you can...you will live with(in) it!

Status
Not open for further replies.