Estimate help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie Bob

I was asked to place a bid on a 3000 sq ft home. no decora or nothing, no can lights, just fluorescent and incandesent fixtures. it's a story and a half house, with 2 bedrooms,laundry room,breakfast room,dining room,living room and 3 bathrooms , one with a whirlpool, downstairs, there's a green house/screen porch attached to the house where a hot tub it's gonna be as well. Garage and basic kitchen with garbage disposal,trash compactor and dishwasher. Upstairs has 2 bedroom and another bathroom. There's gonna be 2 water heaters, 2 HVAC split units. 4 ton unit and 1 1/2 ton unit for upstairs.400 amp service lateral.
I figured there will about 85 receptacles,30 single pole switches, twelve 3 way, with one 4 way. I haven't done a house this big before, i stay pretty busy doing about 900 and 1100 sq ft appartments around here. My last bid for a new house didn't go to well, lost it by a couple of thousands i was told.. . i'd like to get this one.
I figured it would take about 2,750/3,000 ft of 12/2 to tackle all the 110 circuits.( i only use 20 amp in my panel boxes. i know it's overkill for some folks but that's how i do it). Does that sound about right?
And if any out there has done houses close to these dimentions and caracteristics, could you tell me how long did it take you all? including labor time and how many guys? the final price probably wiil be different based on location. we are in rural area, where houses don't build that frequently, but thi time should be about the same anywhere..I sure appreciate your help. thanks

growler

My last bid for a new house didn't go to well, lost it by a couple of thousands i was told.. . i'd like to get this one.

Not getting a project that you bid on doesn't mean that it didn't go well. You may have been right on the money and the contractor that got the job ending up haveing to eat the loss.

Take your time and figure out exactly what you are going to run and what materials you will have to furnish. Know how much is comming out of your pocket. In the kitchen you didn't mention an electric range and in rural areas those are very common. Range cable is expensive so know if your are going to need it and how much. Same with the hot tub. Is there a basement and where can you set the panels to make it easy on yourself.

:happyyes:
It's better to bid high and not get a job than to bid low and lose money.

Charlie Bob

Thanks. yeah that's what i'm doing, taking my time and figure out materials, i just wanted to compare to other projects you all maybe have done. . . . yeah the electric is electric. i have figured out all the disconnects and all. so i guess we'll see.

Gac66610

just finished a 3400 sq ft house, to 2 guys about 3 days
noticed you had 2 water heaters and 2 HVAC units ....
just one question, is this an electric furnace,
that can be costly also

cross the I's and dot the T's .... you know what i mean :lol:

Gac66610

I also believe your real close on wire footage, the only problem would be if the panel is on the opposite end of the house as the kitchen, HR's will eat footage
I'm sure you knew that (sorry) I think you have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.