15 amp GE breaker tripped and wil not reset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speshulk

Sometimes you can turn a large breaker off and it will never reset. I have had that happen several times.

Had this happen in a supermarket that we do work for. The building got flooded and the manager shut off the mains in a Square D I-Line panel. The breakers had never been turned off since they were originally installed. When we went to turn them back on after the flood waters receded, the internal mechanisms didn't want to cooperate. Fortunately, shortly before the flood, we had built a new service in one of their other stores and there were a couple spares for future expansion that we were able to use. Moving parts don't always operate well when they sit for several years.

A-1Sparky

Had this happen in a supermarket that we do work for. The building got flooded and the manager shut off the mains in a Square D I-Line panel. The breakers had never been turned off since they were originally installed. When we went to turn them back on after the flood waters receded, the internal mechanisms didn't want to cooperate. Fortunately, shortly before the flood, we had built a new service in one of their other stores and there were a couple spares for future expansion that we were able to use. Moving parts don't always operate well when they sit for several years.

I went through the same thing last year with a 4,000 amp Square D main. I recommended that management establish a pm schedule for exercising/lubricating these types of breakers to prevent future outages and was looked at like I had two heads. I've come to learn that if it's not their idea, it can't possibly be a good idea. That's ok...I've got a bunch of "I told you so"s saved up that I'm looking forward to using. :D

zog

I went through the same thing last year with a 4,000 amp Square D main. I recommended that management establish a pm schedule for exercising/lubricating these types of breakers to prevent future outages and was looked at like I had two heads.

Lubricating? As a PM? You will do more damage than good if you spray lubricants in breaker mechansisms. The only way to lubricate a power breaker is full disassembly of the mech.

A-1Sparky

Lubricating? As a PM? You will do more damage than good if you spray lubricants in breaker mechansisms. The only way to lubricate a power breaker is full disassembly of the mech.

Sorry, I should have clarified about the lubrication recommendation. This particular breaker (as well as a number of others on site) have external interlock linkages that need to be worked and lubricated periodically IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.