USB Receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Anyone ever install one of these? I was thinking of installing a couple in my office to eliminate the wall warts. I wounder if they consume power when there not connected via USB?

fastmac_usc_usb_outlet.jpg

http://techcrunch.com/2009/12/04/add-two-usb-ports-to-a-standard-outlet/

stickboy1375

Yes, I have a different brand, but they are awesome for the kids iTouches and other toys they have, I'm assuming the consume power since they contain a transformer. of some sorts, I didn't notice it on my utility bill. :)

This is the brand I installed,http://fastmac.com/usocket.php and let me tell you, I had an old work box installed, and I really struggled installing the device...

Last edited:

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector

realolman

what is the purpose of these things? I thought there was some sort of standard that USB cables were only good for about 15 feet

stickboy1375

what is the purpose of these things? I thought there was some sort of standard that USB cables were only good for about 15 feet

To provide the 5volts for charging iPads, iTouch, iPhones, Nintendo DS... whatever else requires just a USB for power only. basically it eliminates the walwart that would normally be plugged into the receptacle, then the USB connector.

stickboy1375

I wounder if they consume power when there not connected via USB?

"U-Socket reduces your energy costs dramatically thanks to its 5-star energy efficient design that auto senses the required wattage & only outputs full power if something is connected to it"

Not sure if the one you posted does the same as quoted from the U-socket design...

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
"U-Socket reduces your energy costs dramatically thanks to its 5-star energy efficient design that auto senses the required wattage & only outputs full power if something is connected to it" ...
That is true for all power supplies...the load determines the amount of power, not the supply.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
That is true for all power supplies...the load determines the amount of power, not the supply.

Yes, but the tree huggers did not like the losses in the earlier transformer style which consumed a little power at no load. The new solid state "bricks" use so little at no load it's hard to make a case to power them down.

hurk27

That would be true for transferring data or 25' is more like it as I have a 25' extension on my printer, but all these are doing is supplying 5 volts DC to charge the batteries, and depending upon the output current level might not be able to support devices that might exceed it capacity such as I-pads and or other devices, but would need to know the spec's before I can make that claim.

Yes, but the tree huggers did not like the losses in the earlier transformer style which consumed a little power at no load. The new solid state "bricks" use so little at no load it's hard to make a case to power them down.

While there are some very small losses in the small transformer type wall warts, I would believe that most newer AC to DC converters or more commonly called power supplies will have transformer-less switch mode type converter design which virtually shut off without a load on them, kind of like the system your computer uses and has been around for a while now.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I see Cooper makes a TR version of this also. The problem I see with the Copper device is that it has a relatively low power output, 700ma @ 5VDC likely won't charge two devices at once. Might not even charge an iPad. :slaphead:

71AsDFeYWAL._AA1500_.jpg

sgunsel

By definition, I think, USB is a maximum of 0.5 amps Each). Most chargers I have seen operate well below that - not exactly "fast chargers", so there is likely no problem. For example, my Olympus camera charger is rated at 0.15 amps at 5 VDC.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
This one scares me, somehow I don't see that whole mess being UL listed...

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/travelpower/e81a/

It looks like it just piggybacks off the existing receptacle, rather than replace it.

View attachment 6875

If you need a lot of USB outlets, here's one that does 4, with a total of 4.4 amps available:
http://currentwerks.com/products-page/usb-wall-outlets/usb-outlet-quattro/

According to their literature it "100% Safety Certified, meets all UL standards". Doesn't sound like it's an actual listed product.

Status
Not open for further replies.