outlet above drop ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

I know you can not plug anything in to an outlet above a drop ceiling but if you put the outlet in a pullbox would this be code compliant? I have a small power supply that needs to plug in.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That is an interesting question. IMO that appears to cover the intent of art. 400.8 but I am interested in what others have to say. Of course, the AHJ will be the one to ask.

Hendrix

I know you can not plug anything in to an outlet above a drop ceiling but if you put the outlet in a pullbox would this be code compliant? I have a small power supply that needs to plug in.
If the power supply has a cord and plug, I would think that it would not be compliant.

kwired

Electron manager
Is the supplied equipment also in the pull box? It is the cord that is not allowed above the ceiling not the receptacle.

ASG

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
Unless there's a code section I'm missing (which can very well be the case), it's not that receptacles can't be above a ceiling, its just that cords are not allowed above a ceiling. Therefore I agree with infinity.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
IMO if the cord is within the covered pull box then it's compliant.
I agree. The cord may be above the ceiling but it is in a enclosure just as our circuit conductors are so I don't see an issue. I am sure there would be some ahj's who would argue that it is not compliant.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree. The cord may be above the ceiling but it is in a enclosure just as our circuit conductors are so I don't see an issue. I am sure there would be some ahj's who would argue that it is not compliant.

You probably right that some inspector would find an issue with it. But IMO it's still code compliant. :thumbsup:

iwire

Staff member
Can you run non plenum grade telephone wire in a conduit in a plenum?

Can I run UF in a trench? :)

Here is the code section I am thinking of.

400.8 Uses Not Permitted. Unless specifically permitted
in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the
following:

(5) Where concealed by walls, floors, or ceilings or located
above suspended or dropped ceilings

I don't see any wiggle room.

This does not mean I think it is unsafe, it is just my opinion of what the NEC prohibits.

iwire

Staff member
Oh, the pox on that. The main danger of cords is deterioration of the insulation that would cause a hazard in these spaces. The cord would be in a bonded enclosure that would be no hazard since it is contained and can be inspected.

Again, I have not said I think it is unsafe. I do think it is clearly an NEC violation.

Status
Not open for further replies.