Cables run in conduit or "free air"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
A few months ago I mentioned that NECA MLU had a higher labor for cables run on j-hooks/bridle rings(free air) as opposed to cables run in conduit. I asked why and I got several explanations that made sense. SoI ask if you are estimating pulling FA cable, tele/data cable etc. do you apply a higher labor if it is not run in conduit in the ceilings as opposed to running in a full conduit system? Thanks.

stevebea

A few months ago I mentioned that NECA MLU had a higher labor for cables run on j-hooks/bridle rings(free air) as opposed to cables run in conduit. I asked why and I got several explanations that made sense. SoI ask if you are estimating pulling FA cable, tele/data cable etc. do you apply a higher labor if it is not run in conduit in the ceilings as opposed to running in a full conduit system? Thanks.

Are you refering to just the time spent pulling cable or time spent to mount j-hooks or run pipe and the cable pull?

jusme123

Occupation
JW
....pulling cable in conduit will be much faster as the cable support (the conduit) is already in place.

John120/240

. Again, which is faster....in conduit or laying on/in j-hooks?

It all depends on the situation at hand !! In conduit you need to set up your spools, have your

fish tape or pull string already run, make up your head. Step ladder or lift needed ?

With J hooks need to move lift/ladder along with the cable. Any obstructions in the way ?

How much labor did it take for the inital installation of conduit or J hooks ?

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
It all depends on the situation at hand !! In conduit you need to set up your spools, have your

fish tape or pull string already run, make up your head. Step ladder or lift needed ?

With J hooks need to move lift/ladder along with the cable. Any obstructions in the way ?

How much labor did it take for the inital installation of conduit or J hooks ?

Good insight thanks. I know you must take that into consideration but say just the cable pull with a fish tape or pull string against laying in j-hooks. Which is more time consuming or do you labor both the same? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.