Detached garage / storage (residential)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDB3

Home owners have built a metal detached (from their home) storage, garage building. Was second level storage. Are the receptacles on the second level required to be GFCI protected? Thanks------

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
There are no exceptions. Detached or attached needs GFCI

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am not sure I agree. The building may be called a garage but the floor above the garage is not the garage. You would not install gfci in a room above an attached garage.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Look ay 210.8(A)(2) . I think as written it probably does mean the entire building. I am not convinced the intent is for the entire building.

Rick Christopherson

I am not sure I agree. The building may be called a garage but the floor above the garage is not the garage. You would not install gfci in a room above an attached garage.
I agree with Dennis. This second level is no longer called a garage, and you can't park a car up there. :D However, unless the upper level has finished walls, I would propose to the homeowner that the outlets be GFCI because this is a metal building (regardless of NEC non-requirement). If the walls are finished, then I wouldn't bother. The purpose of the NEC ruling is to protect from ground fault, and the exposed metal walls present exactly that hazard.

Oh, even 210.8.A.2 doesn't apply because this is the second level above grade. If you read it any other way, then the only building that it couldn't apply to is a "hover building" that floats above earth. :D

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Look ay 210.8(A)(2) . I think as written it probably does mean the entire building. I am not convinced the intent is for the entire building.
I see what you are saying, as in a garage apt. on the second floor...

Ok Flip flopping here... 210.8(A)(2) states "garages, and also accesory buildings that have a floor located at or below grade level..." Would this mean ALL garages no matter how high, and any accessory buildings that are at or below grade have to be GFCI? So would an accessory building set up on 2' of blocks need GFCI?

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation

Ok Flip flopping here... 210.8(A)(2) states "garages, and also accesory buildings that have a floor located at or below grade level..." Would this mean ALL garages no matter how high, and any accessory buildings that are at or below grade have to be GFCI? So would an accessory building set up on 2' of blocks need GFCI?

Again poorly written so it is hard to say. I think the intent is to be safe when working on a slab that is in contact with the earth. So as written, I don't believe you need a gfci in a shed above grade but I would , no doubt, install it. I can see someone opening the door to get power and work outside so....

kwired

Electron manager
I think the intent is to be safe when working on a slab that is in contact with the earth.
That has always been my opinion of the intent when it comes to garages, unfinished basements, etc. that are ordinarily otherwise dry areas.

Take a commercial warehouse - similar floor, same voltage at outlet. Is a person using items in the warehouse as likely to be standing barefoot on the floor while using an electric appliance as they are in the residential garage or unfinished basement?

Most of the GFCI protection location requirements have evolved because of the common occurence of bad incidents in those particular effected areas. When the receptacles in the ceiling of the garage were decided to be included, there was probably enough evidence provided to show significant number of incidents involving those outlets

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

Didn't know that a second story was "at grade"?????:happysad:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Didn't know that a second story was "at grade"?????:happysad:
Here is the catch, IMO. The article does not say that gfci is only required at grade level. It states that garages and accessory buildings that have a floor located at grade must have GFCI. Now the entire building is not a garage but it houses a garage and storage areas so I can see an AHJ requiring GFCI. Personally I don't see it that way-- no gfci on the second floor.
(2) Garages, and also accessory buildings that have a floor located at or below grade level not intended as habitable rooms and limited to storage areas, work areas, and areas of similar use

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Here is the catch, IMO. The article does not say that gfci is only required at grade level. It states that garages and accessory buildings that have a floor located at grade must have GFCI. Now the entire building is not a garage but it houses a garage and storage areas so I can see an AHJ requiring GFCI. Personally I don't see it that way-- no gfci on the second floor.

It does not say detached garages, so does this mean all the homes receptacles are to be GFCI protected? No. IMHO it means 'in' the garage. I could have a two story garage with an elevator to the second floor to store my cars and would only have to GFCI protect the receptacles on the grade level.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
It does not say detached garages, so does this mean all the homes receptacles are to be GFCI protected? No. IMHO it means 'in' the garage. I could have a two story garage with an elevator to the second floor to store my cars and would only have to GFCI protect the receptacles on the grade level.

PS If this 2nd floor was exposed to the elements then I would say GFCI protection is required.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
A detached garage would be an accessory building IMO. We could argue all day but the fact is it will be an AHJ call as there is room for interpretation.

Status
Not open for further replies.