habitable room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbronx

Is office space considered habitable room? A large open area with cubicals has two rooms that don't have idependent light switches, when the large area lights are shut off the two rooms lights turn off. NEC 210.8 is not very clear. All rooms have to have a light switch igress & egress issue. Can someone enlighten me

kwired

Electron manager
I get the feeling you are trying to apply 210.70(A) to the lighting in this space. That section only applies to dwellings.

210.70(C) applies to other than dwellings and pretty much only has lighting requirements for attics and crawl spaces. The areas you are describing have no specific lighting requirements in the NEC.

ADD: if you have requirements for lighting levels, locations, switches, or emergency egress they will come from fire or safety codes, OSHA, insurance carriers, or some other source but not the NEC.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
I guess these guys want to save $ome money, I prefer a light switch in every room.Thanks Don and Kwired

Sometimes lighting is controlled automatically at a remote location. It could be controlled by time, photo cell, occupancy sensors instead of local wall switches, and could be automatic varying of lighting levels. Where there is public access it may not be desirable for just anybody to be able to control the lighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.