Detached garage / storage (residential)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
GFCI protection inside? Yes/No.

View attachment 6937

Is this a play house, storage shed, or something else?

One situation I run into occasionally is bunk houses at hunting and fishing cabin sites. Curious what peoples opinions are on those. They are just a small building with beds or even bring your own cots in some cases and that is about all there is to it. Maybe permanent heating and cooling, sometimes 120 volt portable heating is all that may be used.

Is this (bunk house) a dwelling accessory building and GFCI receptacles required?
Is it a bedroom? Just not attached to main structure, and if so, AFCI is probably required on 120 volt circuits.

Just curious what others opinions are - I have treated them as if they were bedrooms in past and installed receptacles and lighting according to art 210, last one I did AFCI was not requirement yet around here, but I would install AFCI if I were doing it today. Outside receptacles are GFCI protected of course.

JDB3

ANOTHER question about this same structure. Part of it will have walls on both sides of the framing studs, so I know that I can run NM (romex) there, BUT other parts will be open on one side, so I plan to run EMT.
The area between floors is 2x8 framing. Would this area, be considered "not" subject to physical damage, so therefore would it be permissible to use NM or Metal Clad in this area?? Due to the type of framing done, it is not conductive to install EMT there. Thanks again--------

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
ANOTHER question about this same structure. Part of it will have walls on both sides of the framing studs, so I know that I can run NM (romex) there, BUT other parts will be open on one side, so I plan to run EMT.
The area between floors is 2x8 framing. Would this area, be considered "not" subject to physical damage, so therefore would it be permissible to use NM or Metal Clad in this area?? Due to the type of framing done, it is not conductive to install EMT there. Thanks again--------
The rules concerning physical damage are the same, so there is no advantage in using MC. I see no problem with running NM.

kwired

Electron manager
The rules concerning physical damage are the same, so there is no advantage in using MC. I see no problem with running NM.

What may be different is how physical you can get with MC vs NM before damage does occur.

May not be a lot of difference between aluminum armor MC cable and NM but is probably a biger difference between steel armor MC and NM cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.