Control panel, mounting height 120 volt

Status
Not open for further replies.

askDano

Is there any code requirments for the mounting height of a control panel with 120 volt in the panel. I have a vendor suppling a crane with motor drive controls in a panel mounted at the height of the walk way. The key pad to input drive parameters is 12" of the walk way.

pfalcon

NFPA79 would pertain to this. The 120V is not relavent.

NFPA79:2012 said:
11.2.1.4* All control equipment shall be mounted so as to facilitate its operation and maintenance. Where a special tool is necessary to remove a device, the tool shall be supplied.

Which of necessity is subject to a lot of interpretation.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Given as NFPA79 is not a mandatory standard and what it says is so vague as to be meaningless in practice, I can't see anything that would prohibit such an installation. Sometimes there just is not a place to put things that is especially convenient.

Does the enclosure have the required working space? That is an NEC thing.

pfalcon

Given as NFPA79 is not a mandatory standard and what it says is so vague as to be meaningless in practice, I can't see anything that would prohibit such an installation. Sometimes there just is not a place to put things that is especially convenient.

Does the enclosure have the required working space? That is an NEC thing.

Correct: NFPA79 is not mandatory.
Incorrect: Though it has its moments, the majority of NFPA79 is not vague or meaningless in practice. The vague areas tend to be space claim and arrangement.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Correct: NFPA79 is not mandatory.
Incorrect: Though it has its moments, the majority of NFPA79 is not vague or meaningless in practice. The vague areas tend to be space claim and arrangement.

The vague and meaningless comment was referring to the specific sentence quoted that was purported to apply. It is a lot like the term workmanlike. It is just impossible to define in a reliable way.

Status
Not open for further replies.