non grounded outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdjs

I'm bidding on a house to update the electrical service,the owner has all 2 wire receptables in the house ,they want to change them out to new TR grounded ones ,I can't get access to all of them because they have a finished basement.I will use the methods according to nec 406.3. We are under 2011 rules .Do i need to have these circuits on an AFCI breaker?These are wired on a multi-circuit without a ground.I will run new wiring to the outlets that are accessible and will use an AFCI breaker for the TR outlets.

Buck Parrish

IMHO - If you extend a circuit or run new wiring, yes. If you are just pulling a green wire to the existing circuit and changing the outlet, I say no.

resistance

Based on the scope of work, No AFCI breaker is required for the existing circuits. As you know, A section of article 406 does come into play.

kwired

Electron manager
I'm bidding on a house to update the electrical service,the owner has all 2 wire receptables in the house ,they want to change them out to new TR grounded ones ,I can't get access to all of them because they have a finished basement.I will use the methods according to nec 406.3. We are under 2011 rules .Do i need to have these circuits on an AFCI breaker?These are wired on a multi-circuit without a ground.I will run new wiring to the outlets that are accessible and will use an AFCI breaker for the TR outlets.

Almost every time I am in that situation I am running new cirucits anyway as the entire house is usually on only a couple (if you are lucky) circuits that were overfused to start with. By the time you put proper overcurrent protection on them they no longer hold for user demands.

Just did one kind of like that. Kitchen was remodeled in 1950's and had one new circuit (but still non grounding) run at that time. Basement had another newer (but still non grounding) circuit that served some added receptacles throughout the house. Rest of house was on one knob and tube circuit fused at 30 amps of course and 14 AWG conductors. That was it 3 - 120 volt circuits for whole house and then an electric range and central air conditioner for 240 volt loads. I ran new circuit to just about everything in that house as well as put in new panel. Only limited existing wiring was left in place and it was primarily lighting on main floor that needed to have more destruction done if it was to be replaced. Most everything else was able to get done with little or no destruction to walls, floors, ceilings or was run through places that were being rennovated anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.