20 amp branch circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
It doesn't look like a receptacle is an outlet. A receptacle is installed at an outlet.

But then when you look at "outlet", it is not as clear.

IMO When deciding what an outlet is to the NEC the definition that matters is the definition of outlet and to me that is clear.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
But per the NEC defintion of receptacle, it is not an outlet.

That was my point. If you have a lighting outlet with a light connected to it, then feed another light off of it, does that make it two outlets?

In the OP's situation and in 240.4(B) a multioutlet would be more than one outlet. Since a receptacle (single or duplex) is connected to an (singular) outlet, it is not a multioutlet circuit.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
That was my point. If you have a lighting outlet with a light connected to it, then feed another light off of it, does that make it two outlets?

In the OP's situation and in 240.4(B) a multioutlet would be more than one outlet. Since a receptacle (single or duplex) is connected to an (singular) outlet, it is not a multioutlet circuit.
That's the way I see it too.

Gac66610

since you're saying its a single outlet then he would also need to be sure he uses a 20a rated receptacle, just like we use for a microwave circuit

which I for one do not. i was always told that if you can plug more than one cord into a receptacle it was a multi outlet, so i can use a 15a rated receptacle on a 20a dedicated circuit

maybe i missed something:?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
since you're saying its a single outlet then he would also need to be sure he uses a 20a rated receptacle, just like we use for a microwave circuit

which I for one do not. i was always told that if you can plug more than one cord into a receptacle it was a multi outlet, so i can use a 15a rated receptacle on a 20a dedicated circuit

maybe i missed something:?

I think you are mixing the terms "outlet" and "receptacle"

Receptacle. A receptacle is a contact device installed at the
outlet for the connection of an attachment plug. A single
receptacle is a single contact device with no other contact
device on the same yoke. A multiple receptacle is two or
more contact devices on the same yoke.

iwire

Staff member

In my opinion yes.

Per the definition of outlet each lamp socket (or ballast input connection) is a point that supplies utilization equipment.

Utilization Equipment. Equipment that utilizes electric
energy for electronic, electromechanical, chemical, heating,
lighting, or similar purposes.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
What is the NEC talking about here?

(H) Fixed Multioutlet Assemblies.
Fixed multioutlet assemblies
used in other than dwelling units or the guest
rooms or guest suites of hotels or motels shall be calculated
in accordance with (H)(1) or (H)(2). For the purposes of
this section, the calculation shall be permitted to be based
on the portion that contains receptacle outlets.

(1) Where appliances are unlikely to be used simultaneously,
each 1.5 m (5 ft) or fraction thereof of each
separate and continuous length shall be considered as
one outlet of not less than 180 volt-amperes.

(2) Where appliances are likely to be used simultaneously,
each 300 mm (1 ft) or fraction thereof shall be considered
as an outlet of not less than 180 volt-amperes.

In my opinion they are talking about things like this ..

97-UndersideofCabinets.jpg

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
And per the NEC definition of of outlet a receptacle is an outlet.

I also disagree that the definition of receptacle precludes a receptacle from being an outlet.
In my opinion the receptacle is a device installed at the outlet and it is not an outlet.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
What is the NEC talking about here?

In my opinion they are talking about things like this ..

97-UndersideofCabinets.jpg
I agree that is what they are talking about, but it wouldn't be the first time a code rule has not used the correct terms as defined in Article 100.

Sharpie

Back to the 30 CCCs in 2": isn't there something about load diversification (not everything will be running at full capacity all the time). I can't remember where I saw it but I thought that if it was under engineering and AHJ supervision, you could claim that not all loads will be running at any give moment.:?

iwire

Staff member
but it wouldn't be the first time a code rule has not used the correct terms as defined in Article 100.

I don't see the mistake, what was the outlet moves to the receptacle once it is installed.

The box with a a branch circuit was the outlet, install the receptacle into that box and the receptacle becomes the outlet.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I don't see the mistake, what was the outlet moves to the receptacle once it is installed.

The box with a a branch circuit was the outlet, install the receptacle into that box and the receptacle becomes the outlet.

The receptacle is still a device.

Status
Not open for further replies.