Bending a 90 degree "backwards"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frequency

Occupation
Electrician by trade / EC
Hello all,

I'm new at posting messages. This forum has been very informative and humbling.

My Question: I'm still learning how to make bends using one length of raceway but I was asked a question from the lead journeyman while bending 3/4" EMT. He said,"do you know how to bend a 90 backwards?" I could not answer him. I wanted to say using "star" but i'm not certain. Please help. All responses are greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time.

frequency

Occupation
Electrician by trade / EC
Same here, I never heard of that, either.
I said what do mean?
He claims that if you had a 90 @ 8'(measuring left to right) so rather then bend most of the pipe, you would deduct for 90, 3/4" emt = 6" then divide by 2= 3". This would be 93 inches? use arrow and bend. I might not be explaining this correctly and hope this makes sense. Thanks for the link, Edward!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I said what do mean?
He claims that if you had a 90 @ 8'(measuring left to right) so rather then bend most of the pipe, you would deduct for 90, 3/4" emt = 6" then divide by 2= 3". This would be 93 inches? use arrow and bend. I might not be explaining this correctly and hope this makes sense. Thanks for the link, Edward!

Yup, just add 1/2 of the standard deduction for that bender and bend the other way. Comes in very handy when you need to make a long elbow or a back to back bend.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
My first impulse was that it was a hazing question, like "go get me a left handed crescent wrench". :D

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I said what do mean?

What your journeyman is saying is bend the short stub rather than bend the long end up, especially if overhead room is a problem.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Yup, just add 1/2 of the standard deduction for that bender and bend the other way. Comes in very handy when you need to make a long elbow or a back to back bend.
Why do that when the star mark already does that for you?

Also, adding 1/2 the deduct and bending "backwards" would give you a bend that is a little long. According to my calculations, the add amount is closer to 45%.

If you are using a bender that does not have a star mark, such as a 555, you'll need to determine the gain. Put a 90 on a straight, known-length of conduit (you can do this with a piece you intend to use, or a scrap piece... your choice). Measure the resulting two lengths, add the lengths, then subtract original straight length. This gives you the gain. To make a backwards bend, deduct the gain, then add the standard "deduct" to get the "backwards" bend mark.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
... To make a backwards bend, deduct the gain, then add the standard "deduct" to get the "backwards" bend mark.
Diagram...

reversebendmark.gif

Found an old diagram I posted previously. Note the direction is reversed.

reversebenda90.gif

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Because you use the same mark on your bender everytime.
Well, I must say it is a reason... but I can't decide how much merit to give it :D

I can see it being beneficial if one person is doing the measuring and another bending. On those occasions where I'm doing the measuring, I make a sideways, stubby T as the bend mark (see second diagram I posted), so there was no question as to which direction to bend.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
... adding 1/2 the deduct and bending "backwards" would give you a bend that is a little long. According to my calculations, the add amount is closer to 45%.

Rethought this and determined it is wrong. Adding 1/2 the "deduct" would result in a bend that is a little short. I originally figured the gain to deduct ratio when it should have been the (deduct minus gain) to deduct ratio. The calculated add amount is 54-55% of "deduct" value when bending 1/2" and 3/4" EMT in a typical hand bender: 2.7" and 3.3" respectively.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Why do that when the star mark already does that for you?

Also, adding 1/2 the deduct and bending "backwards" would give you a bend that is a little long. According to my calculations, the add amount is closer to 45%..

Because you use the same mark on your bender every time.
Update- I tried two bends using star last night, one reverse bend and one back to back ninety. Both times I came up short, about one half inch.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Update- I tried two bends using star last night, one reverse bend and one back to back ninety. Both times I came up short, about one half inch.
The bender is faulty :p

Curious... what make/model bender are you using? Are you lining up the mark and star like this...?
BendingbyStar.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.