emergency exit lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If this installed is classified as emergency systems then the raceways could not have non emergency lighting installed in them. Generally exit lights do not fall into this category but let's see what others say.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don't see exit lights as area lighting and see no need for them to be on any specific circuit. They are on all the time and have a battery back-up so no matter what circuit they are on, they will remain lit all the time.

If these are combination exit/emergency lights or just unit equipment emergency lights they would need to be on the same circuit as the general purpose lighting in the area.

kwired

Electron manager
Some confusion is in the title of thread, one could think OP is talking exit signs, his description seems to indicate egress lighting. But I think we have given him some idea of what the requirements are for either case.

iwire

Staff member
I don't see exit lights as area lighting and see no need for them to be on any specific circuit. They are on all the time and have a battery back-up so no matter what circuit they are on, they will remain lit all the time.

If these are combination exit/emergency lights or just unit equipment emergency lights they would need to be on the same circuit as the general purpose lighting in the area.

Don, here where I am exit lights are treated just as required egress lighting. IMO the NEC supports that.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Don, here where I am exit lights are treated just as required egress lighting. IMO the NEC supports that.
I don't see how an exit light (sign) is egress lighting, and even if it is, the "area circuit" for the exit light is the circuit that normally powers the exit light. There is nothing to be gained by putting an exit light on the normal area lighting circuit.

iwire

Staff member
I don't see how an exit light (sign) is egress lighting, and even if it is, the "area circuit" for the exit light is the circuit that normally powers the exit light.

And to me it is egress lighting as it is apparently to the inspectors around here.

There is nothing to be gained by putting an exit light on the normal area lighting circuit.

Except code compliance.

We will have to remain in disagreement on this.:)

PEDRO ESCOVILLA

exit signs are required out of the building code, not the nec. the nec does regulate the power. IBC section 1011 exit signs, delineates where required, size of letters, illumination, battery back up etc. i would not consider illimuniated exit sign as " exit illumination", it is a guidance system to an exit, or an entrance to an exit, ( thus the different color, block letters, battery back up, etc) exit illumination , however, falls under section 1006 of the building code (ibc 2006) minimum light levels, emergency power, etc. local lightin circuit is fine for exit lights. lose power, battery back up. thats as simple as it gets

Last edited:

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
And to me it is egress lighting as it is apparently to the inspectors around here.

Except code compliance.

We will have to remain in disagreement on this.:)

700.12 (F) says unit equipment shall be connected to the branch circuit feeding the normal supply unless the exception for 3 separate circuits is met.

I think the problem is that the NEC never clearly says if unit equipment includes exit signs or not.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The issue to me is that if the exit light is providing 'area illumination" then the circuit that supplies the exit light is the "area lighting circuit". I see nothing in the code that supports the idea that a battery back-up exit light has to be supplied by the same circuit that supplies the general lighting in the area. In my opinion it is code compliant to connect the exit light to the general lighting circuit, but it is also code compliant to connect the exit light to any other circuit.
In my area, the common spec is that exit lights are on their own circuit and not connected to the general lighting circuit in the area. Both methods provide the desired effect. (and in my opinion are code compliant)

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
The issue to me is that if the exit light is providing 'area illumination" then the circuit that supplies the exit light is the "area lighting circuit". I see nothing in the code that supports the idea that a battery back-up exit light has to be supplied by the same circuit that supplies the general lighting in the area. In my opinion it is code compliant to connect the exit light to the general lighting circuit, but it is also code compliant to connect the exit light to any other circuit.
In my area, the common spec is that exit lights are on their own circuit and not connected to the general lighting circuit in the area. Both methods provide the desired effect. (and in my opinion are code compliant)

Don, I completely agree with you that there is not advantage to putting exit lights on the area lighting circuit.

However, I think the NEC is vauge on this issue. 700.12(F) doesn't say "area illumination", it says "emergency illumination". How does anyone know if this includes or doesn't include include exit signs? Exit signs provide emergency illumination for backlighting directional signs.

I'm just saying it looks like a place where the NEC could be clearer.

Steve

kwired

Electron manager
Don, I completely agree with you that there is not advantage to putting exit lights on the area lighting circuit.

However, I think the NEC is vauge on this issue. 700.12(F) doesn't say "area illumination", it says "emergency illumination". How does anyone know if this includes or doesn't include include exit signs? Exit signs provide emergency illumination for backlighting directional signs.

I'm just saying it looks like a place where the NEC could be clearer.

Steve

Maybe it is covered in other codes and not NEC?

GBBOLT

You have your answers, and if you do not have a set of drawings showing them tied into the local lighting circuit, and this is a remodel, it will be easiest to jump your hot from the closest light, and loop them together if possible :D

Status
Not open for further replies.