Receptacle Color for emergency systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eng

Does the NEC have any specific requirement on the color of the emergency devices? Our spec always calls out for Red devices to be installed in the emergency system. I now have a client that wants to install Red devices for the critical branch and some other color for the life safety branch.

Any issue if we us Orange or some other color to distinguish between the two systems?

Thanks

copper chopper

517.16 Receptacles with Insulated Grounding Terminals.
Receptacles with insulated grounding terminals, as described If you use orange isolated ground outlets this article states that you cannot if this is a healthcare facility.
in 250.146(D), shall not be permitted.

517.30 E states that those types of outlets OR the coverplates shall have a distinct color or marking

but remember they have to be hospital grade in patient care areas--

We use orange conduit for critical and yellow for life saftey from there we use red outlets for critical with stainless coverplates.
I have only had to install 2 life saftey outlets in my life and both times we used a black outlet with stainless cover and had a special tag printed out to put on it stating that it was life saftey.
any more ? feel free to ask

Smart $

Esteemed Member
517.16 Receptacles with Insulated Grounding Terminals.
Receptacles with insulated grounding terminals, as described in 250.146(D), shall not be permitted.
That's a change in 2011 NEC. Previously not prohibited, but required to be identified, with identification visible after installation.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
517.30 E states that those types of outlets OR the coverplates shall have a distinct color or marking

but remember they have to be hospital grade in patient care areas--
Not quite true, HG receptacles are only required in Patient Bed Locations and Anesthetizing locations see 517.18, 517.19, and 517.61(C)(2)

Roger

Eng

Additional information:

They are not separate emergency systems. There is only one transfer switch which feeds a distribution panel. This panel then feeds a UPS and also a 120V emergency panel. We have receptacles fed from both the UPS and the 120V emergency panel.

I've looked in the NEC and also contacted my supervisor, neither of us can find anything that prohibites the use of different colors for the emergency system.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Additional information:

They are not separate emergency systems. There is only one transfer switch which feeds a distribution panel. This panel then feeds a UPS and also a 120V emergency panel. We have receptacles fed from both the UPS and the 120V emergency panel.

I've looked in the NEC and also contacted my supervisor, neither of us can find anything that prohibites the use of different colors for the emergency system.
AFAIK, you are correct. You can even use the same color as the normal power receptacles. The gist of the requirements is that the emergency receptacles are readily identifiable.

renosteinke

Does anyone still make illuminated receptacles?

Used to be you could get receptacles with little green, red, or amber lights within them - which made it real easy to tell if there was power to the device.

Status
Not open for further replies.