Optional Standby Battery power

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcnut

I have a customer who wants to install a bank of batteries connected a photovoltaic inverter/charger BUT does not want to install any solor panels at this time but wants the option in the future should rebates become availible. They solar contractor has designed a photovotaic system for them with batteries, without a transfer switch. Without the solor panels installed I do not think 690 comes into play, so I assume that 702 should govern this intalation. Anyone agree/disagree? Also would a photovoltaic inverter/charger be considered approved and intended for that use?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I have a customer who wants to install a bank of batteries connected a photovoltaic inverter/charger BUT does not want to install any solor panels at this time but wants the option in the future should rebates become availible. They solar contractor has designed a photovotaic system for them with batteries, without a transfer switch. Without the solor panels installed I do not think 690 comes into play, so I assume that 702 should govern this intalation. Anyone agree/disagree? Also would a photovoltaic inverter/charger be considered approved and intended for that use?
IMO, it is still a Photovoltaic System if the inverter/charger is listed only for such application. It would just be an incomplete system.

Without a transfer switch, it cannot be an Optional Standby System. With a transfer switch, the battery bank charge would not be maintained.

Sounds like the design uses a utility-interactive inverter. If so, at the very least, the incomplete PV system would fall under Article 705 requirements. If so, however, I don't see any benefit to the customer. When normal power fails, a utility-interactive inverter is required to automatically disconnect itself from the normal system. Only way I can see any possible benefit is if the battery bank powers an isolated system.

Status
Not open for further replies.