magnetic vs. non-magnetic conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

anbm

In SKM library, the conductors are listed either magnetic or non-magnetic type. What's the difference in applicaton? Which material costs more?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I don't have SKM loaded on my computer, so I can't check. But are you sure it is not talking about the raceway, when it gives you that choice? A magnetic conduit would tend to choke off the magnetic field that would arise from a sudden, large surge of current, such as during a fault condition. So the choice of conduit would have an impact on the fault calculations (i.e., short circuit and arc flash), but not the voltage drop or load flow calculations.

anbm

I believe it is conductor, when you are in SKM - elec. one line diagram, click to any LV cable, link to cable library, then next to cable type column (i.e THHN, THWN) there is another column with text: magnetic or non-magnetic type...

Smart $

Esteemed Member
... So the choice of conduit would have an impact on the fault calculations (i.e., short circuit and arc flash), but not the voltage drop or load flow calculations.
It DOES affect voltage drop through difference in circuit reactance. See Chapter 9, Table 9, minor columns 2 and 3.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I believe it is conductor, when you are in SKM - elec. one line diagram, click to any LV cable, link to cable library, then next to cable type column (i.e THHN, THWN) there is another column with text: magnetic or non-magnetic type...

SKM is concerned with the type of raceway/conduit being magnetic, non-magnetic or even PVC, the conductor is installed in. Yes the choice is being made in the conductor selection, but that is because of the way the SKM library is created.

ron

SKM has you choose the conductor, insulation and raceway type all in one library click. It is the raceway that they are asking whether it is magnetic or not.

anbm

SKM is concerned with the type of raceway/conduit being magnetic, non-magnetic or even PVC, the conductor is installed in. Yes the choice is being made in the conductor selection, but that is because of the way the SKM library is created.

Thank you. Most of the time, I use magnetic conduit.

Make sense since the magnetic/non-magnetic issue comes up in different forms, not just raceway. It could be and MC or AC cable and the same parameters still aplplicable/.

Status
Not open for further replies.