Take Off Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I thought that folks might be interested in this. One of our salesmen got the info from another contractor. It looks like it could be really usefull, since more and more plan packages are available as PDF's now. The tool for doing device counts alone would make it worth buying, but it's all free!

cdslotz

Certainly nothing new about electronic drawings. All of our invites come with links to document downloads.
Plans are either plotted in-house or emailed to reprographics house and delivered(at our expense). In either case we have physical printed plans to work from.
I could never do a takeoff on-screen and feel comfortable. I guess I'm old school, but I can't scan the entire drawing from my computer screen as I can with a full drawing in front of me. My estimate plans are also my record of how I takeoff the job. Each plan sheet and all of my notes and scribblings match up with my audit trail of my software. I make notes on the drawings, I lay out home runs, feeders, color code fixtures/devices. When I'm done with an estimate, there is a ton of info on my drawings that I want to keep. Those plans never leave my office, even after I get awarded the job. When questions arise during construction, you can come to me and I can show you exactly how I figured a feeder or home run.
If it's kind of cool how it counts fixtures or devices, I bet by the time you set that program up to find a symbol. I have counted all of the fixtures on that sheet.
If I was an estimator for a trade the prices by the sq/ft or lineal ft, that might be helpful.

krisinjersey

I have Planswift and it interfaces right into my Turbobid. I can generate a bid faster with the interface that I can by hand, but when a project gets beyond a certain size, I count manually first and hand read all the notes. Otherwise I get too hung up in the small counting screen and it's easy to miss a note. I missed a "Graffik Eye" note on the second project I did digitally and it cost me about $5000.:rant: Only make that kind of mistake once.

gadfly56

Occupation
Certainly nothing new about electronic drawings. All of our invites come with links to document downloads.
Plans are either plotted in-house or emailed to reprographics house and delivered(at our expense). In either case we have physical printed plans to work from.
I could never do a takeoff on-screen and feel comfortable. I guess I'm old school, but I can't scan the entire drawing from my computer screen as I can with a full drawing in front of me. My estimate plans are also my record of how I takeoff the job. Each plan sheet and all of my notes and scribblings match up with my audit trail of my software. I make notes on the drawings, I lay out home runs, feeders, color code fixtures/devices. When I'm done with an estimate, there is a ton of info on my drawings that I want to keep. Those plans never leave my office, even after I get awarded the job. When questions arise during construction, you can come to me and I can show you exactly how I figured a feeder or home run.
If it's kind of cool how it counts fixtures or devices, I bet by the time you set that program up to find a symbol. I have counted all of the fixtures on that sheet.
If I was an estimator for a trade the prices by the sq/ft or lineal ft, that might be helpful.

Click and drag a box around the area to search on the sheet. Zoom the sheet to where the symbol is. Click and drag a box around the symbol. Click find. Are you done yet?

gadfly56

Occupation
You missed the part where you have to set up the program to recognize that symbol

Not only that, but I'm guilty of not checking thoroughly the product features :ashamed:. Pattern search is only available in the Premium product, a cost of $1,895. It sounded too good to be true...

Status
Not open for further replies.