Ampacity Rating for Romex

Status
Not open for further replies.

southwayec

I wired an air handler with 60 amps MOCP and used 6/2 romex. The inspector failed me stating that the the wire ampacity is only rated at 55 degrees C. Even with this being the case, doesn't it also alow to upsize to the next size breaker since there isn't a 55 amp breaker available? Please help.

Npstewart

Next standard size rule can be found in 240.4 (B) as long as the MCA is less than 55A this should apply.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I wired an air handler with 60 amps MOCP and used 6/2 romex. The inspector failed me stating that the the wire ampacity is only rated at 55 degrees C. Even with this being the case, doesn't it also alow to upsize to the next size breaker since there isn't a 55 amp breaker available? Please help.

Yes this is true however many 10 kw air handlers are rated 56 or 57 amps. In this case 6/2 is no good. I hate that the manufacturers did that.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Next standard size rule can be found in 240.4 (B) as long as the MCA is less than 55A this should apply.

If the MCA is 55 amps or less then the next size up rule doesn't matter. Only the MCA is need in determining the conductor size.

Status
Not open for further replies.