Aluminum #2 triples direct burial cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlnk

Ramapo XLP EYS Aluminum #2 triplex (with outer jacket) direct burial power cable is rated 140 amps in above ground conduit. How would I determine what it is rated in underground conduit? What would it be rated for use in an attic with no conduit?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I would expect that is an "outside" only cable and cannot enter the building. #2 aluminum is not a 140 amp conductor in the NEC world.

cdcengineer

I have always used 310.16 (now 310.15(B)(16) to figure the ampacity, but I believe you must consider the terminal rating when figuring ampacity. I was told 500 AL USE could be used for 400A, but I don't agree. It's good for 350A or 310 A if ther terminals on the gear are rated at 75C.

cdcengineer

Would NEC table 310.60(C)(84) come into play with direct burial tri-plex? I thought we'd still be limited to 310.15(B)(16) because most gear is rated with 75C terminals

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Ramapo XLP EYS Aluminum #2 triplex (with outer jacket) direct burial power cable is rated 140 amps in above ground conduit. How would I determine what it is rated in underground conduit? What would it be rated for use in an attic with no conduit?

Look at 338.12(B)
Also, the cable you are talking about is utility cable, meaning it may or not be listed for the purposes you propose to use it. It may or may not have the required markings required by listing agencies for use in NEC applications. The amperages are also for 90 degree terminations.

http://www.awcwire.com/ProductTOC.aspx?id=Low-Voltage-Underground-Power-Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.