Temp Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I hope so since the temp boxes we use are rated 70 amps or so. I have done some 200 amp temps but most are the manufacturer box with 2 120V recep & cir. and 1 - 240V recep

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IMO you need to comply with this part of Article 230 even for a temporary service.

230.79 Rating of Service Disconnecting Means.
The service disconnecting means shall have a rating not less than the calculated load to be carried, determined in accordance with Part III, IV, or V of Article 220, as applicable. In no case shall the rating be lower than specified in 230.79(A), (B), (C), or (D).
(A) One-Circuit Installations. For installations to supply only limited loads of a single branch circuit, the service disconnecting means shall have a rating of not less than 15 amperes.
(B) Two-Circuit Installations. For installations consisting of not more than two 2-wire branch circuits, the service disconnecting means shall have a rating of not less than 30 amperes.
(C) One-Family Dwellings. For a one-family dwelling, the service disconnecting means shall have a rating of not less than 100 amperes, 3-wire.
(D) All Others. For all other installations, the service disconnecting means shall have a rating of not less than 60 amperes.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Why would I have to comply with 230 for a 590 install?

590.4 General.
(A) Services. Services shall be installed in conformance
with Parts I through VIII of Article 230, as applicable.

What is applicable for a temp service?

Unless I missed sometihng, the section I posted is in part VI which is between parts I through VIII.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I am thinking I misconstrued/misread your OP on this topic: Is a 100 amp service temp required for a load that is less? SFD or otherwise?

I don't think so if you can meet one of the other conditions in 230.79.

The OP was somewhat vague. I just assumed that he wanted to know what the minimum size temp service he could install.

Status
Not open for further replies.