Closet Lights NEC 410.16(A)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjc1060

I was called out by a customer to replace three recessed(square)cans in a closet. These were incandescent and since there was a glass lens covering the lamp I changed the incandescent lamp to a CFL. The local AHJ told me that a 2-pin fluorscent lamp was necessary. I was told the village uses the 2008 NEC as thier code. The existing lamps meet 410.16(A) requirements does any one know if there is a requirement somewhere else in the NEC or NFPA that requires a fluorscent fixture that uses 2-pin lamps to be installed in residential cloths closets. I am confused?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
My bet is the inspection is using 110.3(B). Most recessed cans are rated incandescent luminaires. Although most ahj's have no problem with a cfl in the can they have a valid argument.

Now you can argue that the bulb is listed for a recessed can-- if it is????--- This is the same argument that may be presented with panels that are listed for one brand but there are many manufacturers who make breakers listed for other brand panels.

I don't see what 410.16(A) has to do with it.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
The code says luminaire, which is the entire fixture including the bulb. An incandesent can with a fluorescent bulb is not a fluorescent luminaire.

And if you are located in CA, lights in closets are required to be high efficacy and a fixture with a medium base socket cannot be used. (yes, I know there are exceptions to the high efficacy requiement.)

Last edited:

dhayes

Replacement lamp in incandescent luminaire

Replacement lamp in incandescent luminaire

Just because you have relamped with a cfl doesnt alter the fact that the existing fixture is still an incandescent recessed can. So the home owner or handyman at some point in the future will be able replace your cfl with an incandescent lamp again perhaps causing a violation based on 110 clearance in a closet. That may be what the ahj is thinking. Ask him/her.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Just because you have relamped with a cfl doesnt alter the fact that the existing fixture is still an incandescent recessed can. So the home owner or handyman at some point in the future will be able replace your cfl with an incandescent lamp again perhaps causing a violation based on 110 clearance in a closet. That may be what the ahj is thinking. Ask him/her.
An incandescent lamp in a re-can is not a violation if there is a lens, no?

kwired

Electron manager
An incandescent lamp in a re-can is not a violation if there is a lens, no?

Correct. If clearances in 410.16 are met. Clearance happens to be same for incandescant as it is for fluorescent in this case. So inspector in OP's case can only bring up the clearance if that is an issue, otherwise he complies with either type of lamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.