Lathe and plaster ceiling support

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
Hey guys I'm hoping to draw upon your rich and deep and very experienced maybe you can help me. :)

I have a really fancy penthouse atop of the old building from 1928 and a great city California.
Interior decorator that I work with want to install three hanging pendant lights.
They don't weighe much. De pendence I'm not talking about the decorators :)

My need is that it's a concrete shell of the building with some really robust laugh and plaster ceilings with the big space I can send you guys the pictures you get the idea there's a concrete shell with this heavy metal on metal laugh and plaster coffered beautiful coffered ceiling

So the question is how to hang the tenants I get power to them. Well I got a closet behind the wall and I can sort of see into that hollow space they're pretty easy sort of.

The question is what to fastened to what materials to use now I demolished or took out of there a movie theater and the method by which they hung the projector was most interesting there was a plate bolted to the structural concrete of the shell and out of that place was fixed some deep struts coming out at right angles like a flange

Well that certainly worked! But for me to get in there I had them a whole big enough to get my shoulders and an little more actually

So I have to model of three pendant lights without making a mess in the beautiful ceiling and I figure some way to attach these models up there pretty well I have a couple ideas

The idea leaning towards first is to put a piece of wood of there and then hang my pendants from pancakes from three pancakes and hook him up to whip fundament only question is how to fasten the woods of the plaster ceiling and that seems to be some Molly bolts your

I like that idea it's fast and flexible and even I can do it :).

We will adjust the height with zip ties.

Hey forgive my typos here I'm just talking on the iPhone I'm rambling and I beg your indulgence thanks a much guys out

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Hey guys I'm hoping to draw upon your rich and deep and very experienced maybe you can help me. :)

I have a really fancy penthouse atop of the old building from 1928 and a great city California.
Interior decorator that I work with want to install three hanging pendant lights.
They don't weighe much. De pendence I'm not talking about the decorators :)

My need is that it's a concrete shell of the building with some really robust laugh and plaster ceilings with the big space I can send you guys the pictures you get the idea there's a concrete shell with this heavy metal on metal laugh and plaster coffered beautiful coffered ceiling

So the question is how to hang the tenants I get power to them. Well I got a closet behind the wall and I can sort of see into that hollow space they're pretty easy sort of.

The question is what to fastened to what materials to use now I demolished or took out of there a movie theater and the method by which they hung the projector was most interesting there was a plate bolted to the structural concrete of the shell and out of that place was fixed some deep struts coming out at right angles like a flange

Well that certainly worked! But for me to get in there I had them a whole big enough to get my shoulders and an little more actually

So I have to model of three pendant lights without making a mess in the beautiful ceiling and I figure some way to attach these models up there pretty well I have a couple ideas

The idea leaning towards first is to put a piece of wood of there and then hang my pendants from pancakes from three pancakes and hook him up to whip fundament only question is how to fasten the woods of the plaster ceiling and that seems to be some Molly bolts your

I like that idea it's fast and flexible and even I can do it :).

We will adjust the height with zip ties.

Hey forgive my typos here I'm just talking on the iPhone I'm rambling and I beg your indulgence thanks a much guys out

When you get off the phone you might try reading what you just wrote and see if you can understand it. I certainly could not follow it enough to help.:?

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
yap!

yap!

at least i wasn't driving:angel:

http://flickr.com/gp/65660328@N06/i6R6wY

http://flickr.com/gp/65660328@N06/9AaKW8

what would you hang three 15# pedants from here?

how would you mount them temporarilly to see how they looked without making a big mess?

I'm going to put a 1x12 up there with mollies, mount a couple octagons with blank covers that have 1/2kos to the 1x and grab a whip \:slaphead: for the designers

if it is accepted, what is a good method to fasten to cceiling permanently without making a big hatch and bolting to the structural concrete.

if the escutcheon or cover on the fixture will cover it, I'll molly 3 pancakes there
if not, I'll ask someone smarter than me!
http://youtu.be/J4mo0pz8oi4

renosteinke

Even Earl Pitts and "JoeyT" (redneck nephew to someone famous, supposedly) are able to compose a more readable post than the one at the start of this thread.

Is there a question in there somewhere?

IPad and Zip Ties .... now that pretty well defines the scope of technology..

Personally, I'm biased in favor of the traditional baling wire.

PEDRO ESCOVILLA

i got to the top of the hill, i turn around and there she was, gone ! you got a bit if french in you my friend, no. what theheck are you asking ? install some good blocking inn there, get a few 3, maybe, no retro fit fan support boxes, pull some mc and be done w5h that there, you

there ain't many problems that a man can't fix, with $700.00 and a 30.06

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
Could you open the two photo links?

You can't install blocking without major disruption.
The pendants are very light. The lid is very strong

jimport

Occupation
Master Electrician
You could lay a piece of 2x on top of the metal framing channel and mount a box to the bottom of the 2x. You may need to adjust the height of the box some by shimming or recessing the box in the 2x.

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
Also I use a MultiMaster with diamond blade,
cold chisel, dykes, tin snips and hammer drill
To work that thick old plaster with metal lathe

Thinking about buying a 3" diamond tipped hole saw
used at high speeds for making holes in granite,
but the dust may be too much.

It's a difficult material to work, more like a motor tile bed in a shower
High end construction from the '20's
And those guys did everything really well ?

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
You could lay a piece of 2x on top of the metal framing channel and mount a box to the bottom of the 2x. You may need to adjust the height of the box some by shimming or recessing the box in the 2x.

Yes that's a great idea!
That's one reason why was going to get the granite
Hole saw so that I can
Pull that sandwich from above and below

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.