Fire Pump Motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMG_1

I have a question regarding Fire Pump Motors. According to the NEC, a Fire Pump Motor is allowed to be tapped off of a switchgear ahead of the service diconnecting means. I am working on a project where the service is fed by a 2000 kVA 480 V Transformer. The feeder for the fire pump is tapped off of this bus, ahead of the disconenting means with approximately 25' of #2 AWG. Is this considered a tap and should this fall underneath the tap rules? I cannot find an exception for Fire Pumps.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I have a question regarding Fire Pump Motors. According to the NEC, a Fire Pump Motor is allowed to be tapped off of a switchgear ahead of the service diconnecting means. I am working on a project where the service is fed by a 2000 kVA 480 V Transformer. The feeder for the fire pump is tapped off of this bus, ahead of the disconenting means with approximately 25' of #2 AWG. Is this considered a tap and should this fall underneath the tap rules? I cannot find an exception for Fire Pumps.

They are not a tap, they are service conductors. The service disconnect is the fire pump controller.

kwired

Electron manager
They are not a tap, they are service conductors. The service disconnect is the fire pump controller.

That is correct. Your AHJ likely has rules of how much distance is allowed for meeting "nearest point of entry" for service conductors. So these conductors may need to exit the building and re-enter at the fire pump controller or be encased in 2" of concrete or other effective means to make them "outside the building"

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
That is correct. Your AHJ likely has rules of how much distance is allowed for meeting "nearest point of entry" for service conductors. So these conductors may need to exit the building and re-enter at the fire pump controller or be encased in 2" of concrete or other effective means to make them "outside the building"

True, but they are going to have to be outside the building or encased in concrete to make them outside in any event as they serve a fire pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.