Damaged NM cable sheath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

i was helping dad last week and i noticed there was a nick / flaw in the protective coating of the NM cable in the house.
it must have occured when the wiring was put in. there is no evidence of any damage to the wiring.

my question is, can i wrap the area with electrical tape ?
will it raise any flags with anyone?

thanks,
jimmy

dhalleron

Whenever I used to fix romex with black tape I always felt I was cheating and tried to hide the repair if I could.

Later I read somewhere that it is actually ok and some manufactures explain that in their paperwork.

Maybe someone else can explain it better with some facts.

480sparky

Remove enough of the sheath to inspect the insulation of the conductors. If they're undamaged, tape the sheath up.

Reference: Gil Moniz of NEMA and Dave Mercier of SouthWire Corporation stated during an IAEI meeting.

resistance

Remove enough of the sheath to inspect the insulation of the conductors. If they're undamaged, tape the sheath up.

Reference: Gil Moniz of NEMA and Dave Mercier of SouthWire Corporation stated during an IAEI meeting.
This is what I do.

jeremysterling

When I was in school, I was taught that cable assemblies were made with a sheath that was designed to protect the conductor's insulation during installation.

I understand that to mean that the sheath will incur scrapes, scratches and scuffs as it fulfills its protective role.

If the outer sheath needed to retain "like-new" appearance, it should be made with another extra outer-outer sheath.:p

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
When I was in school, I was taught that cable assemblies were made with a sheath that was designed to protect the conductor's insulation during installation.

I understand that to mean that the sheath will incur scrapes, scratches and scuffs as it fulfills its protective role.

If the outer sheath needed to retain "like-new" appearance, it should be made with another extra outer-outer sheath.:p
Yes, but what if extra outer-outer sheath gets scrapes, scratches, and scuffs?:D

In a somewhat similar vane, our company recently failed an inspection because we had used a short piece (perhaps 6 inches) of new cable sheath from 12/2 romex to sheath existing romex so it would reach into the panel (the individual conductors were plenty long enough, but the outer sheath was too short. (it was a panel upgrade job).

The inspector made us install a junction box above the panel, and splice the old romex to a new romex. Seemed pretty petty and dumb to me, but sometimes it's not worth arguing about.

Factory spec

Factory spec

I had been taught that the tape-over must replace the original sheath over the break to the extent that it meets the original thickness of the outer jacket-- I don't have the mil specs, just approximate it and use the color-coded phase tape if you are self-conscious. That's real pretty!

Status
Not open for further replies.