Motor Overload Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortcircuit2

I have a compressor with a Baldor 10HP 3phase 230/460volt, 28/14amps 1.15 SF, code J, class B...maybe 8years old.

The shop voltage is 208volt.

The nameplate says useable at 208volt with a 28.2 A on the nameplate.

The motor is triping the starter on cold start in the morning but runs all day no problem.

But the motor is drawing 35amps with an amprobe test on heaters that max at 34.1

Could someone give me ideas on what may be the problem?

Thanks, shortcircuit

templdl

I have a compressor with a Baldor 10HP 3phase 230/460volt, 28/14amps 1.15 SF, code J, class B...maybe 8years old.

The shop voltage is 208volt.

The nameplate says useable at 208volt with a 28.2 A on the nameplate.

The motor is triping the starter on cold start in the morning but runs all day no problem.

But the motor is drawing 35amps with an amprobe test on heaters that max at 34.1

Could someone give me ideas on what may be the problem?

Thanks, shortcircuit

When you do get the motor to run all day what is the amp draw then?
Also, I agree with Jim. You didn't say if preventive maintenance has been performed over the years though.

I have always recommended that when there is a preventative maintenance done jot down what the ampere values are as a bench mark. Then, as each successive inspection is done measure the value and compare it to the last. If there is a trend this may be an indication that something is changing which may require additional attention. Such values are also helpful when trying to address an issue such as the one tat you have here.
Knowing that it is very common for a compressor to be extremely important to manufacturing processes it should be the target for preventive maintenance as well as having any applicable spare parts on hand. This can be very cheep compared to the cost of lost production.

shortcircuit2

Thanks for the replies. I'll check on the motor maintenance history.

The 35amp reading is after it has run for a few cycles.

I'll have to check the drive belts to see if they are to tight also.

shortcircuit

Status
Not open for further replies.