Taping green conductor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

walker10

Is it a violation to tape a 1/0 green conductor. We have a 1000 foot reel ordered by mistake and want to use it for battery cable. I just remember thinking green wire was the only one not allowed to be taped.
thanks

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You cannot tape the green conductor to identify it as a grounded or ungrounded conductor.
250.119 Identification of Equipment Grounding Conductors.
Unless required elsewhere in this Code, equipment grounding conductors shall be permitted to be bare, covered, or insulated. Individually covered or insulated equipment grounding conductors shall have a continuous outer finish that is either green or green with one or more yellow stripes except as permitted in this section. Conductors with insulation or individual covering that is green, green with one or more yellow stripes, or otherwise identified as permitted by this section shall not be used for ungrounded or grounded circuit conductors.
That being said is the proposed use covered by the rules in the NEC?

jumper

It is a proven fact that re-identifying any conductor smaller than #4 will bring the ten plagues of Egypt upon your house.

Green is sacred to the Gods and you risk their wrath by despoiling its insulation.

PS. I routinely violate this rule, yet still live.:)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
My bad.... I read it wrong cause I have never seen a 1/0 conductor green unless it was a cable assembly. I assumed you were taping the 1/0 green. I agree you cannot tape a green conductor and use it as a grounded or ungrounded conductor.

jumper

My bad.... I read it wrong cause I have never seen a 1/0 conductor green unless it was a cable assembly. I assumed you were taping the 1/0 green. I agree you cannot tape a green conductor and use it as a grounded or ungrounded conductor.

Code wise..yes, yet would the electrons or whatever carries current know the difference....nope.

The pox on this silly rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.