Establishing a neutral to ground bond on a telecommunicaitons shelter

Status
Not open for further replies.

encoreman

I am working with an experienced journeyman electrician on a telecommunications shelter. He has performed the electrical premise wiring for dozens of telecommunications shelters in many different jursidictions. He is recommending that we install a meter and disconnect on a utility rack 50 feet from the shelter near the utility transformer. He will ground the case for the disconnect at the utiliy rack. He will extend the service (without a grounding conductor) to the shelter where he will establish the neutral to ground bond at the inside shelter disconnect.

In reading the code, I was under the impression that the neutral to ground bond had to be established at the first disconnect. He assures me that in all the installations he has done, he has done it this way without any objection from the local inspector.

Is this correct? Is this the proper way to establish a neutral to ground bond?

Thanks in advance for your help!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Prior to the 2008 Code, his installations may have been in compliance.
The 2008 Code changed so that an equipment grounding conductor was required.(250.32)

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I agree with the others. If you put only the meter out at the rack and put the service disconnect at the building, then he would be correct.

he has done it this way without any objection from the local inspector.

I'm suspicious of that reason and usually of the people who use it. Just because the police rarely ticket for 5 miles over the speed limit doesn't mean it's legal. Goes in the same category as inspectors saying, "I like to see it this way" when their way isn't required by the code.

ceb58

In previous code cycles that was allowed, I think it was the 2005 NEC that changed and made it a violation.

Prior to the 2008 Code, his installations may have been in compliance.
The 2008 Code changed so that an equipment grounding conductor was required.(250.32)

I agree with both except, and I am relying on memory:lol:, you could do it unless there were other items, water pipes, phone, catv ect.....
This being a telecom building I guarantee there is more than the feeders going to the building. Thus non- compliant no matter what the code cycle.

iwire

Staff member
I agree with both except, and I am relying on memory:lol:, you could do it unless there were other items, water pipes, phone, catv ect.....
This being a telecom building I guarantee there is more than the feeders going to the building. Thus non- compliant no matter what the code cycle.

That is correct but I realy doubt the stand holding the meter has any of those other items bonded to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.