Reuse of conductors from 3phase circuit to single phase circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

I've got a newly installed 3 phase, 3 wire, 208V homerun for a piece of equipment that, as it turns out, is 120V.

My conductors are therefore color coded Red, Black, Blue and Green. I'd like to avoid having to pull a new 12/2 MC cable by utilizing the Black and with white tape on both ends re-identify either the Blue or the Red as the neutral.

Is this permissible.Would this be a code violation?

Thanks,

Mike

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
200.7 is not a player in this discussion. It speaks of using "whitish" conductors for something other than the neutral.

On the other hand, 200.6(A)(1) would allow marking (e.g,, with white tape) at the terminations for MI cable, but it does not mention MC.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I disagree. 200.7(C) specifically allows this when part of a cable. I think the OP implied MC cable.
(1) If part of a cable assembly and where the insulation is
permanently reidentified to indicate its use as an ungrounded
conductor, by painting or other effective
means at its termination, and at each location where the
conductor is visible and accessible. Identification shall
encircle the insulation and shall be a color other than
white, gray, or green.

It does appear to actually say that.

jumper

I've got a newly installed 3 phase, 3 wire, 208V homerun for a piece of equipment that, as it turns out, is 120V.

My conductors are therefore color coded Red, Black, Blue and Green. I'd like to avoid having to pull a new 12/2 MC cable by utilizing the Black and with white tape on both ends re-identify either the Blue or the Red as the neutral.

Is this permissible.Would this be a code violation?

Thanks,

Mike

Code says no, common sense says yes. Want me to do it for ya? I got no qualms doing it.;)

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
200.7 is not a player in this discussion. It speaks of using "whitish" conductors for something other than the neutral.

On the other hand, 200.6(A)(1) would allow marking (e.g,, with white tape) at the terminations for MI cable, but it does not mention MC.

Of course you are right. I was thinking the other way around as you mention. Yes, I think it is not compliant, but is commonly done.

mshields

How about ungrounded conductors

How about ungrounded conductors

Thanks for all the feedback.

Is there a similar rule pertaining to the ungrounded conductors?

Status
Not open for further replies.