Seperation of Circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Code Ref:
517.30 (C)(1)
Article 100 - Branch Circuit

What we have:

In a hospital we have a generator that feeds a switchboard, then going to transfer switches. Georgia power is feeding normal switchboard then going to the transfer switches. Transfer switch feeding panels on the 5th floor.

In the 5th floor we have Life safety, critical, and normal panels. They are all feeding panels on the 3rd floor. In the 5th floor electrical room, we have a JB for all of these feeder conduits to go into and then down to the 3rd floor (out of necessity).

From my understanding we are able to do this per code. Is there any reason why we cannot?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I see this as a violation of the very article that you cited, 517.30(C)(1). It talks about specific types of wiring that cannot occupy the same junction box. I notice you are also citing the article 100 definition of the phrase "branch circuit." I think you are misinterpreting the use of the single word (not two-word phrase) "branch," as used in article 517. It is not talking about branch circuits. The rule does not tell us that emergency branch circuit wiring cannot share a raceway with critical branch circuit wiring. The rule also excludes feeders from the "emergency branch" from sharing raceways and boxes with feeders from the "critical branch" or the "normal branch."

Status
Not open for further replies.