Hair Dryer Load

Status
Not open for further replies.

KWH

I was curious if anyone has taken a amp reading on a hand held hair dryer, if the watt rating for output comes out the same as if you divided by the voltage. I am doing a beauty salon and figured one dedicated circuit per chair but now there talking about 2300watt dryers.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have never seen an amp reading that matched the nameplate. Well rarely anyway but I haven't checked any hair dyers

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I was curious if anyone has taken a amp reading on a hand held hair dryer, if the watt rating for output comes out the same as if you divided by the voltage. I am doing a beauty salon and figured one dedicated circuit per chair but now there talking about 2300watt dryers.

I did one not long ago, and ran a seperate circuit (12/2/2) to each receptacle after breaking the tabs. Each receptacle is on a 20 amp double pole breaker.
I also like to do this to bathroom receptacles in houses for the same reason. By the time a hairdryer and a curling iron are pluged up, the receptacle is seeing 3200-4000 watts.

mike_kilroy

it matches so well that our local poco uses it as verification their meteres are accurate. all the feld techs carry a cheap kmart 1000watt hair dryer and show that 1 rev of meter wheel with hair dryer load is 60 seconds. I think this justifies they should be accurate. at least some of the cheap ones.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
it matches so well that our local poco uses it as verification their meteres are accurate. all the feld techs carry a cheap kmart 1000watt hair dryer and show that 1 rev of meter wheel with hair dryer load is 60 seconds. I think this justifies they should be accurate. at least some of the cheap ones.

We have sometihing like a hairdryer that we test services with, a super beast http://www.arnettindustries.com/pdf/Superbeast.pdf

our meter verification is done with a little more accurate machine though.

Status
Not open for further replies.