Why you hire an electrician and not a plumber

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Every once in a while I come across installations like this that are both funny and sad at the same time. Just thought I'd share in the amusement :

PVCfittings003.jpg

PVCfittings001.jpg

PVCfittings002.jpg

The funny part about this and what I'd really like to know is :
1) Did they install the wire "after" the fittings were installed or did they install it as the PVC was going up ?
2) Why did they mix white and gray PVC ? If you're at the plumbing supply why not get all white ?
3) Did they only have 3 gray PVC straps left at the supply house ?

The sad and unfortunate part about this is that this installation is at a private lake clubhouse. It was probably done by a caretaker who was trying to save the association a few bucks. Little did he know that in NJ, with respect to electrical work, there is no distinction between public and private. It's either residential or commercial. Obviously this is not residential so the only category left is commercial. Doing commercial electrical work in NJ without a license is a felony. I'm sure this wasn't inspected :happyno:

growler

It is perfectly safe and servicable.

It could be or it could not be.

If he didn't know enough to use the right fittings did he know to ground properly?

For all we know he may have an old extension cord in that conduit and not even connect the ground wire ( I would bet on NM in the conduit as I see it all the time).

You normally only see the tip of the ice berg until you investigate farther.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I hope you are joking.

There is absolutely nothing unsafe or unservicable about this installation, forgetting for the moment whether it meets code or not. By itself, using plumbing pipe on its own it is not something I would be all that worried about. It is not the first time someone has used plumbing pipe of some type to run wires in, and it won't be the last.

If the OP wants to use it as leverage to get some extra work, that is fine with me. Just don't claim there is some inherent safety issue that does not actually exist.

jumper

There is absolutely nothing unsafe or unservicable about this installation, forgetting for the moment whether it meets code or not. By itself, using plumbing pipe on its own it is not something I would be all that worried about. It is not the first time someone has used plumbing pipe of some type to run wires in, and it won't be the last.

If the OP wants to use it as leverage to get some extra work, that is fine with me. Just don't claim there is some inherent safety issue that does not actually exist.

True, although I worry a bit about the conductors being damaged during installation.

As far as NM in a wet location, there is probably thousands of feet of it installed wrong that works fine.

I guess I am becoming jaded, I simply cannot get worked up about this one.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
True, although I worry a bit about the conductors being damaged during installation.

As far as NM in a wet location, there is probably thousands of feet of it installed wrong that works fine.

I guess I am becoming jaded, I simply cannot get worked up about this one.

I am not all that worried about the conductors being damaged. I would be more worried that it was wired in 18 gauge 2 wire lamp cord. But that has nothing to do with the pipe that was used.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Never said it was unsafe. You'll probably never have to "service" the wire inside the conduit but I'm just curious as to how they got the wire inside. A trained gerbal with a string tied to his tail ?

satcom

Never said it was unsafe. You'll probably never have to "service" the wire inside the conduit but I'm just curious as to how they got the wire inside. A trained gerbal with a string tied to his tail ?

It is unsafe, can anyone see the real problem?

renosteinke

Problems:
1) Lack of support;
2) More then 360 degrees between pull points;
3) Bending radius too tight (plumbing ells);
4) Non- listed (plumbing) components;
5) Plumbing componenst not rated for sunlight; and,
6) Work performed by unqualified personnel.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Problems:
1) Lack of support;
2) More then 360 degrees between pull points;
3) Bending radius too tight (plumbing ells);
4) Non- listed (plumbing) components;
5) Plumbing componenst not rated for sunlight; and,
6) Work performed by unqualified personnel.

None of which makes the installation inherently unsafe.

templdl

When they were originally changing from gas light fixtures to electric they used the gas pipe to run the wires through didn't they? The original rigid conduit. Now, what is so different about this plumbing job?
Must of had kept feeding the wire through those tight 90deg els before being glued together piece by piece.
It would have been fun to sit in a nice comfortable chair with a six pack of cold beer by your side and what him do the work. Just a little humor if you?re not too fussy to break up your day.

mike7330

Unsafe

Unsafe

Using white PVC plumbing pipe is unsafe! What happens when the landscaper cuts into a 1 inch ?white? PVC pipe that has 480 volt site lighting circuits, that he believes is the sprinkler water pipe.

Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.