Article 517 - Patient Care Areas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npstewart

In 517.13, this article states "All branch circuits serving patient care areas shall be provided with an effective ground-fault path by intallation in a metal raceway...." Would this also refer to the branch lighting circuit or only receptacles? This is for a dentist office.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
In 517.13, this article states "All branch circuits serving patient care areas shall be provided with an effective ground-fault path by intallation in a metal raceway...." Would this also refer to the branch lighting circuit or only receptacles? This is for a dentist office.
It is for all branch circuits serving a patient care area.

Roger

Npstewart

Lets say you have a existing branch circuit coming from the panel that does most of the lights including the corridor, reception area in addition to the exam rooms. I guess the entire circuit would have to be changed correct?

Npstewart

No, the current method doesent comply. I think most of it is just standard MC. I think I will just show a new branch circuit for the lights in those rooms rather than trying to make the existing circuit comply.

Thanks for the help guys.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
No, the current method doesent comply. I think most of it is just standard MC. I think I will just show a new branch circuit for the lights in those rooms rather than trying to make the existing circuit comply.

Thanks for the help guys.

That might be easier.

I don't see any provision to allow only part of a branch circuit to meet the requirement when part of the circuit serves non-patient care areas.

In other words, I agree, the entire existing circuit would have to be fixed if it is going to serve a patient care area.

Npstewart

Just for my understanding, what would be the reasoning on requiring the lighting branch circuit to comply with this section? Is it because the switch is located in the room with the patient?

KWH

I believe if your branch circuit is in conduit you can have both non-patient and patient care areas on the same circuit, just have to use correct wiring method in patient care area's.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Just for my understanding, what would be the reasoning on requiring the lighting branch circuit to comply with this section? Is it because the switch is located in the room with the patient?
It may not answer your question but click HERE for an article on Patient Care Area bonding.

Roger

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Yes, someone could contact the switch and patient at the same time. However, if you switches are all outside the patient vicinity, and the lights are more than 7.5' AFF, it looks like you would meet exception #2 (2008 NEC), and the redundant ground would not be required.

I believe if your branch circuit is in conduit you can have both non-patient and patient care areas on the same circuit, just have to use correct wiring method in patient care area's.

It looks to me like the entire circuit would have to comply. That's what I meant by my last post.

KWH

if using m/c cable for your lights health care cable ( redundant ) ground is still required above the 7 1/2ft height.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
if using m/c cable for your lights health care cable ( redundant ) ground is still required above the 7 1/2ft height.
No, you can not use MC although you could use AC or Flexible Metal Conduit if it complies with 250.118(5)

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.